1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot maker question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have an old shooting friend who is debating on making his own lead shot!-- of course the px of 7 1/2shot in the store is the driving factor--- please give me the pros and cons as i know nothing about this subject--- wally riebesell

2. Covercollector

Covercollector Member

There has been many threads about this,everyone gives the same advice"If you don't have access to a steady supply of wheel weights,it's not worth it."Shot-making is an art and there are alot of great videos on youtube about it.I would say that if he has access to the weights to try and find someone in your area that makes shot and work a deal out with them. Randy

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Shot makeing isnt a drop in lead and poof out comes shot. Dont even think of buying a machine unles you have minimum of 500pds of very cheap lead to start with. lead its self is getting harder to comebuy with scrap prices up,every guy is turning it in and most scrap yards wont sell unless you have a smelting permitt,and buy in large quanity.

If you have a amout of lead find someone to make it for you for cut. I was doin 50/50 last year but had guys bringing me 30 40pds at a time and well not worth firing up the equiptment for less then 200 now sucking fumes.

Machine willl cost you $450 then cost of tank plumbing and coolant,graphite system. Theres alot to it.

Unless you want a new hobby and you got $500 or so just to start it

Jerry Lewis

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My setup cost a lot more than $500 when completed. And it's nothing special. You must know how to fabricate your own parts with the exception of the shot maker itself. There is a bit of design, built, try, then modify until it works. The Lead, well some sucks, and some is great for making shot, but you don't know until you work with that batch, and wheel weights are hard to get. Good luck....

5. Reinz

Reinz Member

I looked into it, and unless you can get the lead for free or at least next to nothing, you are better off buying the shot.

Good Luck

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You have to find a good and continuing supply of lead. Lead wheel weight won't be here very much longer because of the Federal mandate for them to be made out of something other than lead. Most States removed them in 2008. It's a matter of time in all States. So then you can try to find a scrap yard that will sell you lead, most won't. It wouldn't be worth while anyway because the price the foreigners are paying for lead puts it way over the price of just buying a bag of shot.
    Well, then there's the cement mixer for drying,the mixer for graphite, drop tanks,find the right coolant,screens for sorting sizes.

Oh yeah, then you have to buy the shotmaker! Then you have to learn how to make shot. These units are not "plug and play".

I've been making shot since 1987. I have seen the time when the tire shops would give the wheel weights to you, just to get rid of them. Those days are long gone.

Ajax

7. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i remember a friend named ellen saying"you have to be a scrounger,and a engineer" and thats true to this day,first stock up on lead,then think of a shotmaker,lead is getting harder to get,but can be gotten,if you do it rite.another thing i like to use my setup for is to re drop reclaimed,also befriending scrappers can get you lead,and working for a large automotive group with 8 tire changers helps too,will it run out?????,but dont give up before you start,mark

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I am one that has made TONS of lead shot in the past when wheel weights were correct for dropping shot. Those days are gone. Current production wheel weights will not work so even if you get them for free they are useless. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and remove this project from your "bucket list".

9. berettablaster

berettablaster Member

Rick979 is right about the newer wheel weights. They do not work in a shot maker. I am told they have zinc in them. Not sure if that is true. The lead will not flow through the small nozzle holes of the shot maker.A friend and I made tons of shot with a Littleton shot maker. You first need an electric furnace to make the ingots. we used to drop the shot no more then 1/4" from the lip of the shot maker to the container of coolant. We used fr200wg hydraulic oil. The machine made excellent shot with the older wheel weights.

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Wally

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but I have a complete shot maker system for sale!

I have everything, Stewart 1500 watt, 220 ladle; coolant tank, catch baskets, screen sizing boxes, and a sizing system with new electric mortar mixer included. I have new full sheets(about 3ft X 4ft) of perforated steel screening material in various sizes.

Approx. 4-5 sets of drippers in 7 1/2, 8, and 9.( mostly double drippers). Many accessories go with this unit.

BEST OF ALL..........I have 1700 pounds of lead, mostly in ingots, that are made from old wheel weights.

The lead not in ingot form, are new heavy fishing sinkers.

I am in east central Indiana, and want serious inquiries only!

..........$1500.00 cash for everything....................

Danny

11. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Here a few pics of my set up Chuck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Chuck

I have the same type of drying rack, but my fan is underneath, and forces the air up and through.

My mortar mixer has the same drum configuration, but I made a set of sizing buckets with a strip of perforated metal at the lower end of the buckets. I can put these on the mixer with a piece of opened-up stove pipe under them, and as they turn, they sort by size, fall into the stove pipe, then into a bucket on the floor.

I use screens sized for #5 shot for the big stuff to remain in the sorting bucket, then switch to #7 sized screen, then finally # 8-9 sized for the small stuff.

Everything I don't want gets recycled.

I can sort 150-200 pounds in 20 min.

My system is still for sale if anyone is interested.

Danny

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

everyone-thanks for all the info--i will pass on to my friend----happy shooting--wally riebesell

14. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Danny, These are pictures from last year, I have changes my drying system this year, I have a 60 gal fiberglass barrel cut in half, i use a shop vac in reverse , I lay the hose extensions in the bottom of the barrel and drill a lot of 3/16 holes in the bottom which acts like a corn drier , I have dried up to 700 lbs over night, it works really slick,
    Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lead shot maker
lead shot maker coolant
lead shot maker for sale
looking for illustrations of how too make a lead shot maker

need catch basket for lead shot maker

shot maker coolant tank
shot maker for sale