1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot maker question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kalina, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

Has anyone had problems running a shotmaker in cooler temps. Tryed running my Littleton electric today and couldn't keep it running without tapping on it all the time. It was just above frezing out and I make shot in an unheated shop so I think that could be the problem but I am looking for other possablitys. Any help would be appreciated.

Luke Kalina

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Either heat your shop or wait till warm weather. They don't work well in temps below about 65 degrees.

Jim

3. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Never had a problem running lead even in the 30's. The only thing is the coolant was too thick and I had to warm it up but after that I learned and still don't have a problem in cold weather.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Keep a propane torch by and heat as needed untildesired temp is reached.

5. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I have a 1500 watt burner running 220 v and heat is still a problem in cold weather ... if you have any draft blowing over the the ladle that will also have an effect ... you may want to switch to 220 and higher wattage ... not a tough thing to do ... appliance parts store can fix you up with a burner ... you may have to do a little cobbling on the burner to make it fit ...and a little rewiring ... but in the long run if you make much shot it will be worth it ... I changed out my fiber glass insulation with blanket ceramic insulation for better heat retention ... this also is a help ... I am also running double drippers which also requires more heat

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

One thing I found that was killing me when i first started was the building I was doing it in was 3 phase and only had 208 volts. It just killed those 1250 burners. I chased it down and up graded to the 1500 which helped then figured out the 208. Added a buck booster and am now getting 238 and cant hardly slow the thing down with cold lead anymore. But when I was fighting it the propane torch helped level the field.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I work with my unit outside, and have found that if a cool breeze is blowing across the ladle, it will give me fits. The unit slows down, requires tapping and some propane flame on the drippers to get things going again. I built a three sided box 10" high to keep the heat up in cases like this. I also found cool coolant is a problem and use a bucket heater to warm the coolant up before I start. It's an art to make good shot, I've found that out. Lots of little nuances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.