1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot maker just wont get hot enough!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by himark, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have Jims double shot maker and was making shot for first time. The ladles will not stay hot enough to allow for new lead to be added. Once it is going good I can add one lead ingot 2# to it and it will run out of lead quicker than it will melt the new lead. So I started to bring it forward to get a faster melt and it has a dramatic cooling effect. Than I started to heat the lead prior to putting it into ladle still same effects. Add any lead it chokes it out, let it keep heating it runs out. My next step is going to pour melted lead into it. I thought Jims machine was not suppose to be like this and I am seriously wondering if I may have a faulty machine or wiring problem internally?? Is there a way to infared check the coil to be sure it is achieving its correct operating temp? Any ideas? I was watching Scotts videos he posted earlier and even in within the 3 minute video his machine would melt and ingot, mine wont.

2. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

hip,how fill are your ladels?too ful and they will slow down/make odd looking shot,i had to lift the back of my machine so there was 1/4-3/8 in of molten lead over the drippers & a 1-1 1/2 in bare spot of the rear of the ladel showing,it will take some learning,any questions just email,mark

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

You should contact Jim, He should be able to help you out.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Yep I am preheating then ingots on the machine housing. So hot you cant handle them with your hands. I was watching Scotts videos and he takes them out of a bucket on cold floor and they melted faster. That clued me in that maybe the machine is just not hot enough so I did check the power supply and each leg of the plug shows 120V so that would make it the correct 240 I would think but I am NOT a sharp wiring guy. I am using a long 15 foot heavy 220 welder cord so I would think it will carry the load fine and even the short cord to the machine doesnt get warm so I would think the cord is not the issue. Can you guys shoot your coil with a infared temp gun and report what it is? This will tell me if mine is getting to the right temp.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

himark has this power outlet been used before? If so who wired the welder cord and how sure are you that it is correct. Has it been used before? It really sounds like you are only getting 120 at the machine so you may have an open leg.
    --- Chip King ---

6. JWS

JWS Member

HIMARK:
    This is Jim Stewart. Give me a call at 256-587-0107 and I am sure I can straighten your problem out.

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

As we suspected a wiring problem has been found. Nothing with Jims machine but our building is 3 phase and is only giving us 208. This apparently is just enough defeciancy to give us these problems. I can say there is not much excess heating in these systems and they are just at the required temps with full voltage that a slight decrease sets them off balance. So heads up to all you guys if you are in a commercial building like ours. BTW there is a stepper transformer we are looking into to bring up the voltage.

8. incognito

incognito TS Member

Yep, you need some help. I worked as an electrician in the Kansas oil fields for several years, and 3 phase can get pretty tricky. I have seen a lot of different voltages on "common" 3-phase lines, including some as high as 600 volts if you have a wild leg. Depends on whether it's true 3-phase or wild leg, then depends on whether your transformers are connected as delta or Y. You would have probably let the smoke out of your shotmaker if you would have connected to 277 volts, which is not all that uncommon. I put a website above to explain some of this, but JayZap is right. Get some help from someone with 3 phase experience. The average residential electrician isn't what you want.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Yep got help..Had an electrician over here today and I asked him the same question...."why if you have two legs of 120 seperately it is not 240 when together?" He said the building is 208 3 phase and that is ALL you can get even though it shows 120 on each leg. Makes no sense to me so thats why I got help. He is the one telling me we need a 7.5 KW Booster transformer.

10. KRE

KRE TS Member

120/208 3 phase is a std voltage. Just pick up a Buck/Boost transformer for the correct load an voltage and it well correct your problem. Very simple fix.

The work(heat)difference between a voltage of 208 vs 240Vac on a straight heating load on single phase is 14%.
    A 14% difference of anything is not a "Small Difference" at all. YMMV

Kenneth

11. incognito

incognito TS Member

I've been out of the loop for almost 20 years, but the old 3 phase electric meters would read a heavy load on one leg as a load across all three legs. In other words, your shot maker will be very expensive to operate on one 3 phase leg with a transformer. Ask your electrician about checking the load on each leg, and moving circuits around to "balance" it across all three. Maybe the new meters are different.

12. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Around here, when you have 3 phase you have two "low" and one "high" leg. The high leg is usually in the 170 to 180 volt range. Don't ask me how all this works because I don't know. But what I do know is that if your bricklayer moves one of the breakers in your panel to make room for his mixer breaker and he puts your breaker on the "high" leg, you will be buying new radios, tvs, tape players and the like. In my case, that breaker fed a subpanel. That put 180 volts on one side of the main buss in that panel feeding that "high" voltage to all the breakers connected to that side of the buss. Made for some really bright lights for a really short time!

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! I AM THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE!

And your insurance company won't pay for a darn thing!!!!!!!

The Bayrat
    POC, TX

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Fixed this problem by swapping the 1250 burners out and put in 1500's. Simple fix and the thing runs hot now. If we put the buck booster in we will be to hot now. If you guys that are running these machines are having border line heat troubles switching the burners was simple and I got a pair of 6" hot point 1500 watt burners for 14.00 each from online hardware.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I read the attachment above and got absolutely nothing out of it. I understand home wiring but that's about it. So, my question is what exactly is a "phase " as it applies to the above conversation. A couple of examples would be appreciated. Dave P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.