Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shot maker coolant

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  plinker61 
#1 ·
I used to make shot years ago. I used soluable oil then and would like to hear of other coolants and your opinion about what you use. Thanks Jerry

#2 ·
At the present time I use Brake fluid (DOT3). When I first got my shot maker I tried anti-freeze wothout any success. I have heard that others do have good results with the anti-freeze but mine turned into popcorn looking stuff. I have a friend that just got a Littleton Shotmaker and he says people now-a-days dont recommend brake fluid anymore. But until I have a problem with it I will continue using it...My 2 cents

#3 ·
Mash on the link. There is a lot of discussion about shotmaking. There is about 22 pages to read thru. The last 4-5 pages has some good info on coolants.

I use low-tox antifreeze with about a pint of liquid laundry soap to 5 gallons.
It does not have some of the temperature sensativity issues the a lot of others have.

The low-tox stuff is a propelene glycol, not the more common ethelene glycol. the ethelene basec coolant has fume and flammability issues.

Jim

#9 ·
im using used brake fluid,get it free from brake shops,&.car dealerships.
they have machines that service your brake system,the scrap tank holds 5 gallons.the beauty if using this is#1)its free(my tank holds 14 gallons)#2 the system they use primes the system with new fluid after each use,so when they start the next job the new fluid goes into the scrap tank(they est.30%-40% in tank is new fluid.be careful though brake fluid has a flash point of 275 deg.f,and the lip of your ladel is running around 550 degrees(checkd with my red dot digatal read thermo.)i have a 10x10 tranny cooler sitting in a bucket of ice water,my pump runs 75 gph. temp never changes over 10 degrees,i have a singel ladel stewart better shot maker,and run between 200-250 lbs a run.have fun,be safe,mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.