1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot maker coolant

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rickm181, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickm181

rickm181 TS Member

I have tried anti-freeze and laundry detergent are there any other good coolants?

2. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

brake fluid

3. shellerman

shellerman TS Member

I used old transmission oil. Get it for nothing. Pour it through old towel or whatever and get the big chunks out. Worked for me. Jack

4. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

rickm181, did you mix anything with the laundry soap ? I been using brake fluid which works fine but smells bad and hard to wash off the shot.
    chuck-d

5. guncase

guncase TS Member

You people amaze me,,, have told you 20 times that plain old antifreeze is the best.!!!!! Read the label on brake fluid,,, IT IS FLAMMABLE!!!!! how dumd can you be????????

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Have used brake fluid for a year with NO Problems. I use simple Green to wash it off and then rinse with cold water.

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Gunsmoke100: Not as dense as someone who can't properly spell DUMB! LOL!

The following are the physical properties of ethylene glycol or plain old automotive antifreeze.

Notice that it IS FLAMMABLE TOO!!!!!

Physical Properties
    Description: odorless, colorless, slightly viscous, sweet-tasting liquid. Many antifreeze products also contain yellow-green fluorescent dyes and a bitter taste to reduce the chances of accidental ingestion.

Warning properties: odor is inadequate to protect against acute inhalation exposure

Molecular weight: 62.07 daltons

Boiling point (760 mm HG): 387ºF (198ºC)

Freezing point: 8.6ºF (-13ºC)

Specific gravity: 1.11 at 68ºF (20ºC) (water = 1)

Vapor pressure: 0.06 mm Hg at 68ºF (20ºC)

Gas density: 0.092 (air = 1)

Water solubility: miscible with water; can absorb twice its weight of water

Flammability: 232ºF (111ºC)

Flammable range: 3.2% to 21.6% (concentration in air)

Jeff

8. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

gunsmoke100, I do think GoldEx is 100 % right as the dumb part would be using antifreeze ! It will probably catch on fire a lot sooner than brake fluid however I do not use only 1 gallon of brake fluid in my catch container and have never had any trouble in a years time or longer. plus if you keep a metal
    plate that will cover the container should it catch fire just cover it and out goes the fire.(hopefully)! antifreeze is just too much poison for me to do something like make shot. anyway thanks for your input I appreciate it. stillhave never found out if anyone knows should I mix water with the soap ? or use it plain ? chuck-d

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Peanut oil works great. I tried it out tonight and was very successful.

10. Mr.Skeeter

Mr.Skeeter TS Member

I have been makeing shot for a while and the best stuff to use by far is Water baded hydrolic oil. Its a little expensive but works great. I used Sierra Antifreeze because its ethiline glycol based which dosent catch fire like the propiline glycol does. but with the sierra the shot has a little hole in it (dosent affect the pattern any but I like to make good shot. LOL)

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wonder how brake fluid even burns after watching a Nascar race with a camera right at the sight of the brake. The brake was white hot.

12. Mr.Skeeter

Mr.Skeeter TS Member

a fire can only start if there is oxygen present and the inside of a brake line is free of all air.

13. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

NASCAR cars use a silicone based brake fluid (DOT5). Not the ether/tricloroetheylene based fluids (DOT3 or 4). DOT 5 is designed for high heat applications. Used brake fluid in is considered to be a hazardous waste in many states. Please be careful how you handle and dispose of it. I don't make shot. If I did, brake fluid would be among my last choices just because of the legal issues. JMHO.

Shawn

14. drbones326

drbones326 TS Member

Yes liquid nitorgen works well.. good luck

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Well lets see here. I want to make shot but according to the EPA which has the common joe BSed it is really bad stuff. But to make it I need worse stuff that will probably and which is easier to get into the hands of animals and children.

Animals will lick it and I don't know what the hell kids and grownups will do with it. I havn't yet in my area ever heard of anyone dieing with lead poisoning. Man this lead thing is bad bad bad, I think. Any way thats what the anti groups tell me and they must be right cause they get what they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.