Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shot maker coolant

6K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Roc'n C 
#1 ·
I would like to hear what you are using for coolant and why. Some of the questions I have are. How do you rinse the coolant off? How many gallons does your system hold? What temperature do you try and maintain?

Thanks you

#4 ·
I've tried them all. And use Trim E206 machine tool coolant ($35.00 gal. at Granger's), at a 5/1 ratio 5 parts water 1 part E201. Wash off with water (no hassle). I heat my coolant to 100 degrees in a 20mm ammo (shot drops into a removable screen container) can which overflows into a large plastic tub. when I need more coolant after removing the new shot I use a battery powered hand suction pump(about $20 at Northern Tool) works great. The coolant never over heats. I use an electric heating device that is used for outside animal water containers on cool days, to get to my start point of 100 degrees. ( about $20 at Northern Tool).

#6 ·
I use laundry soap. When making shot, I put my coolant tank (full) in the fridge overnight, getting the temp to about 40-50 degrees.
The tank holds about 4 gallons. I run the shotmaker until the coolant reaches 125 degrees. With a good batch of lead, this will produce 80-90 lbs of shot. I have a winch above the setup and when done I raise the inner basket with shot up to let it drain in the tank.

#7 ·
My set up use straight anti freeze, and it will hold app: 8 gallons, i run it through a radiator to have a continues flow, i also use a small fan on the radiator, we can make shot all day and never over heat the coolant, i wash the shot 3 times in hot water, by the time it gets to the 3rd rince it is clean and ready to go into the drying bin,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.