1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot maker coolant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shoot n Holler, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I would like to hear what you are using for coolant and why. Some of the questions I have are. How do you rinse the coolant off? How many gallons does your system hold? What temperature do you try and maintain?

Thanks you

2. dblell

dblell Member

1 automobile antifreeze
    it works
    I put dawn in the coolant
    I start dripping at 100 and quit at 150
    Lee

3. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Im sorry about adding a question to a question, but could anyone tell me the best temp to run laundry detergent, i may try other coolant, but ide like to see the best results before trying others, im really interested in going to Dot 3 also, thanks and sorry

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've tried them all. And use Trim E206 machine tool coolant ($35.00 gal. at Granger's), at a 5/1 ratio 5 parts water 1 part E201. Wash off with water (no hassle). I heat my coolant to 100 degrees in a 20mm ammo (shot drops into a removable screen container) can which overflows into a large plastic tub. when I need more coolant after removing the new shot I use a battery powered hand suction pump(about $20 at Northern Tool) works great. The coolant never over heats. I use an electric heating device that is used for outside animal water containers on cool days, to get to my start point of 100 degrees. ( about $20 at Northern Tool).

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Crop oil works well and washes up nice.

Darr

6. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use laundry soap. When making shot, I put my coolant tank (full) in the fridge overnight, getting the temp to about 40-50 degrees.
    The tank holds about 4 gallons. I run the shotmaker until the coolant reaches 125 degrees. With a good batch of lead, this will produce 80-90 lbs of shot. I have a winch above the setup and when done I raise the inner basket with shot up to let it drain in the tank.

7. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

My set up use straight anti freeze, and it will hold app: 8 gallons, i run it through a radiator to have a continues flow, i also use a small fan on the radiator, we can make shot all day and never over heat the coolant, i wash the shot 3 times in hot water, by the time it gets to the 3rd rince it is clean and ready to go into the drying bin,
    Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot maker coolant

shot making coolant