1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot makeing Question for all doing it.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I know shot was made from dropping shot from a high tower. How is it made now? Still dropped? If so Why are the home shot makers lip so close to the coolant? Why not have a a high drop zone, As high as you could resonably get? And what gives factory shot such a good roundness to it?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

My guess its the same principle of an air cooled motor v a water cooled motor.

4. 333t

333t Member

I believe some commercial shot is still made with shot towers but another system called the "Bleimeister Method" has gained popularity because a tall tower is not needed. The Bleimeister Method (from what I understand from reading various sources) uses a series of drippers to release small drops of molten lead that roll down an inclined pathway. The drops form into balls as they roll along and are cooled and solidify as part of the process. The machinery involved is expensive and fairly complex but produces high volumes of shot that is later sorted for size and tumbled to achieve the nice round uniform sizes.

The home shotmakers that use a fluid catch basin bath are basically a Bleimeister system very much simplified so that the incline is only a small sloping shelf and the liquid bath replaces the dry cooling system. The drop distance in this case needs to be very short or the molten lead pellets will flatten when they hit the surface of the liquid. About 1/4" to 3/8" inch drop produces the best shot in a fluid bath. Also, the fluid (not water) must be of the proper consistency to allow the shot to solidify into nice round spheres. The wrong fluid and consistency will produce all sorts of strange looking shot.

You could possibly drop shot from a home shotmaker far enough to cool but you would probably need a drop of 50-100 ft. with a water bath at the bottom. In this case the water would only be there to cushion and cool the shot as it would be already solidified on the way down. But why try to convert a home shotmaker into a shot tower? The 1/4" drop is a lot easier to handle, and the machine will fit into a small corner of your garage.

Phil

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I was just wondering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.