1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot gun cases for air travel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SilverShooter, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

The family vacation is taking me to Mission Viejo in southern CA -- and my wife suggesed that i spend sometime at the local ranges --God bless her! I know what the airline says but I was wondering what your experience has been with checked shotguns and how to package up my shotgun. I have guerini shotguns and a JE 687 combo (cant decide which to take) and am concerned that the cases will take a beating.

Rudy

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm going to AK on the 12th with a Americase. I'll check it and tape the latches. It will fly.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

MIA, I will see you in AK!!! I also wrap a couple wraps of duct tape over the locks just in case.

as for Gun cases to fly with, you NEED a hard, Metal(Aluminum) Case, or maybe one of the very hard plastic (Pelican??) cases, the standard case the gun came in will be trashed before you get there. My Warwick is pretty banged up from a dozen trips. I always add extra foam padding pieces inside to keep the gun from banging around in the case.

Americase, Warwick, Kalispell.....there are more

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I have a ton of air miles on my Warwick 2 gun case. It has came thru some long trips in great shape.

Ken Cerney

Wisconsin

5. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Hi Rudy

My wife and I went to Arizona for the Casa Grande winter chain shot this year. I traveled from New York on connecting flights with my Caesar Guerini Maxxum combo in it's own case, packed into a Strom hard case with one foam insert removed. The Guerini case was a perfect fit and it made it through without a single scratch. It could not have been any better, my shotgun made it without incident and now I could carry it to the range in it's own travel case.

Hope this Helped

Enjoy the trip and good shooting.

Tony S

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Do=All makes a case that will survive. Cabela's sells them. About $179.

They are heavy but bullet proof.

HBT

7. cave_canem

cave_canem TS Member

Look at SKB cases also. They are some great cases and they come with a lifetime warranty. Check the website regarding the warranty, I believe it will cover some or all of the damage to a gun if it was in the proper SKB case for it. NOTE: I am not 100% sure that this is the case, but for some reason I remember it that way and sos did my dad.

I just picked up a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon combo set and will be getting one of the SKB cases for it. (fitted for a combo set trap gun)

Hope this helps
    -kevin

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

This may not be the answer for one-trip use but...

We have a pair of Warwick cases that we had modified for air travel. The cases are ideal but the fit of the gun parts in the original cases was too sloppy for air travel so we had an upholstery shop gut the cases and replace the original interiors with dense upholstery foam cut out to fit the gun parts tightly. We made the patterns, they cut and installed the foam. Not a scratch in many air miles.

Carol Lister

9. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I had very good luck with one of those Boyt Duffle Bags with the wheels on one end. The bottom section zips all around to nicely hold those Perrazi/Beretta/Caesar Guerini plastic cases, and does not advertise to the whole airport that there is a gun inside. ....Rick

[​IMG]

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I have one of these cases. Aluminum, welded corners, and cheap. Real latches with eyelets you can put real padlocks through.

I also put a bunch of guitar and music bumper stickers on it to make it look like a guitar case, not a gun case.

11. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I bought a Pelican 1700 case and love it so far. I have taken it on 3 flights so far with no issue. The case gets a little scuffed, but no damage as the plastic is extremely tough. My gun has never shifted more than 1/2" or so in the case. All you have to do is cut the foam how you like it. There is no way that these latches will come open on the plane. And it has the wheels for rolling like a suitcase with the retractable handle.

Got mine here for $145. http://pc.pcconnection.com/1/1/150311-pelican-products-pelican-1700-rolling-weapons-case-foam-black-app-1700f-w-foam-black.html

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have 2 Rhino Aluminum cases that have been everywhere. California, Texas, Colorado, etc. Almost impossible to break up. I also lock them with an America Padlock similar to what I used in the Army to secure M16's in the arms room. Nearly impossible to break open. They are heavy but your gun is secure.

Tom

13. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have flown and traveled many miles with Starlight Cases -- they are about as close to bullet proof as any case I have had. I have had baggage handlers tear the heck of out of a big name case mentioned on these pages a lot --- Since I switched to Starlight have had no problems - Have flown with Shotguns and scoped rifles and black powder cartridge rifles - So far no problems-
    http://www.starlightcases.com/features.html

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Like Danny, I use a Pelican case - older Browning Travel Vault. Have had mine for 10+ years and after the first trip, the case looks the same - a few scuffs, but the case is built to withstand a tank running over it - "cases used by Navy Seals"...

Not lookers and heavier than some, but they do what they are supposed to do (take the beating so your guns don't) AND have excellent features - full perimeter O-rings, pressure release valves, folding handles and wheels, tough latches with reinforced lockable tabs - plus the ability to custom configure the foam to encase your gun. They won't ding, dent or require an optional cover.

I would expect in the event of a air-disaster, you'd find it floating on the surface with its contents intact... don't expect the same for myself!

You may not use it often or much, but don't skimp on quality.

regards to all,

Jay

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a Starlight case that is 10 years old. It has been shipped and travelled with extensively. Not one issue in 10 years. I don't think you could hurt this thing with a hammer! It is waterproof and it floats too... I hope none of you have to prove this but it is a nice feature. Company is owned and operated by disabled vets.

We sell the cases and the two gun or combo case is $220.00 plus applicable shipping. They are available in Black, Tan or O.D. Green.

Thanks,

Bob Schultz

16. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I have traveled all over the US with Cabela's aluminum cases. I have take rifles, pistols and various shotguns without a single problem other than the terrified look you might get if asked to demonstrate they are unloaded at the ticket counter. The cases hold the gun position very well and have a great locking system. I have had several TSA guys make good comments about the cases. I wrap my stock and barrels in gun socks prior to placing them in the aluminum case. Good price too.
    CA

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

For your consideration. I have an older SKB two gun shotgun case that is a veteran traveler. I called their parts dept. today about upgradeing my case to the present TSA approved latches. Explained that I am not the original purchaser of the case and the companys lifetime warranty did not apply any longer. A young lady took my address and is shipping me 4 new type latches NO CHARGE! What a great rep. for her company. Been waiting for over a year for a response from the U.S. distributor of Rio ammo as to poor quality control. Thats the dark side of customer service. Thank you Sarah. Bill H.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My favorite, and I've had a bunch, is NASCO. Lighter than Americase and with more padding.

19. cafowler

cafowler Member

Another recommendation for Pelican Cases. I've bought mine over 15 years ago, and have used it quite a bit. The last 2 years it went cross country throu DEN almost every other month. The TSA guys at Reagan National noted the seal teams come thru there all the time with the same cases.

They have a lifetime warranty. The 1st one had a break at the lock ring, they replaced the case with a new one for the cost of shipping it to me, about $12. The aluminum cases tear up anything they hit, you, your car, your gun, but they are a bit liter. I would get the double rifle one, I think you can get two shotguns in it with extra room. I expect this 2nd one to last a lot longer than 15 years as it a number of improvements.

Don't ever use the "TSA Approved" combo locks. Always use a key lock, and ask to see the case to make sure the case is locked after TSA does it's thing. Every airport is different, so don't hesitate to ask if you're not comfortable with how TSA handles your gun.

If you like sporting clays, you'll have to make a trip to the valley to Moore n Moore, it's a great sporting course, but I don't think they have any trap.

20. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Thanks for your excellent suggestions and tips. I'll look for a case to put the factory case inside like the Boyt perhaps, or a sturdy travel case like the Strom or the Peilican 1700 and similar. For a sec, I thought I could skimp with using the factory case, but you guys stopped me from making a big mistake. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rhino single locking trap gun cases

shotgun cases for air travel