1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot fall distance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dennis (nj), Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I know this has been on here before but I can`t find it . Using a standard 1 1/8 trap load as an average , what would the farthest distance the lead would fall and then shooting Sporting Clay at aproximitely a 45* angle , how far would the lead travel . Any help is appreciated .

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Average distance for 1-1/8 trap load of 7.5 shot is 300 yards (900')at a lesser angle. With a 45 degree angle the shot fall zone will be less.

Eric

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Eric,

You may want to go research that and then comeback. I think you will find the number is 200 yards.

Dennis,

use this link for a lot of answers. http://www.rangeinfo.org/resources.cfm

4. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

best angle for distance is 30 degrees.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I belieeve the 300 yard number is what NRA and others recommend as your "exclusion zone" if you are setting up a range. Not necessarily how far the shot will actually travel, but rather a safe distance to provide a buffer.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<center>[​IMG]</center>

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Dennis and Eric you both need to do some home work. Me to, because I only think it was 250 yards for 7 1/2; 275 for #6 shot; 290 for #4 or something like that. Thats why 300 yards is the recommended safety zone. You never know when some hunter decides to use up some hunting loads. Also, if you got a tail wind the shot will carry farther. Anybody got Lyman's reloading handbook handy?

Jason

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Respectfully, JBrooks was there, but JohnF was right on...

The "Journier" (spelling is wrong) Formula, for round lead balls, states the maximum shotfall distance for #7.5 lead is 209 yards.

The NRA recommended shotfall zone distance is 300', however the NRA will not make specific recommendations for any range per their range manual - they do state that a range shot fall zone be commensurate with the ammunition used.

Jay Spitz

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

spitter,

I think you meant 300 yards, not 300 feet.

10. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Thanks everyone . Thats what I was looking for . I thought that holding a higher gun would throw the lead farther . I didn`t want it going off our property with some games we are playing . Next was to have someone stand in the woods and listen for the lead dropping down at the different heights !!!!

11. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

NRA fact books says 7.5 shot - 750 feet (about 250 yards) add 10% for a 10 mph tailwind.

"7.5 : 750 ft" is a good rule of thumb to remember.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

dennis, get grammie for that one.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Timb99

You're correct, I meant 300 yards - I thought the apostrophe was for yards, but must have been feet as the quote is for inches - so what do you use for yards other than an abbreviation?

When my club was working with SAAMI, we always referenced that "Journier" formula. All I can tell anyone here is that our shotfall perimeter is @650' (feet) and with all th etesting we've been through, no shot ever detected outside our fenceline.

Jay Spitz

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Don't sweat anything beyond the target, which is usually 32 yds out. So it drops on a nice little old lady sunbathing in her back yard.....don't woory about it!

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jay,

As far as I know, there's no abbreviation for yards.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

dennis,

"I thought that holding a higher gun would throw the lead farther"

A 45° angle would result in the longest horizontal distance if you didn't have to account for air resistance (that is, in a vacuum.)

Since in reality, we have air resistance to contend with, the maximum horizontal distance is acheived with much smaller angles of inclination.

17. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Thanks again for your answers . I`m certain now that the shot fall zone is well within our property lines . I have taken samples last year as to the amount of lead at several spots in the wooded area and 650 ft had the most lead per 2x2 sq ft but some landed farther . A lot of the shot has been slowed down by the leaves and trees . I was mainly concerned with the elevated gun as we wanted to start a modified Sporting Clays when the Trap Shooting was finished for the day , similar to a 5 stand from 1 trap house and add a few targets from a manual thrower at different heights and angles . I still have the assumption that an elevated gun at 45* or higher will throw lead farther than with the standard trap targets . All shells will be standard trap loads of #8`s or 7 1/2`s , not larger or hotter as per the rules of our club .

18. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

It must be more than 140 ft ??? Check those calculations again .

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jim Burk,
    According to other info posted here that seems awfully close. Is that because of the "normal" angle of trap shooting? Is the company reclaiming your lead able to give you a "normal range" for typical clubs? This seems to be a subject that is attracting more and more interest. Thanks, Bob H.

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Alder- We would hope that most of the shot hits a target- that shot isnt going to go anywhere near as far- so 143 yards is probably right on

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
distance of shot fall
distance of the safety zone of a trap range
lead shot fall zone

shot fall distance

shot fall safety zone
trap range shot fall zone