1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Energy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brigade, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brigade

brigade TS Member

Comparing Shot shells to be used on the 27yd.line, which would have more energy to break the clay traveling at maximum FPS yet, staying in ATA rules? 7/8oz. #7 1/2 or 1 1/8oz. #7 1/2 ? Thanks, Ed.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Looking at just 1200 fps muzzle velocity and 40 yards shooting distance:
    #7.5 shot has 675 fps velocity and 1.26 foot pounds of retained energy.
    #8 shot has 660 fps velocity and 1.04 foot pounds of retained energy.

3. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    My vote would be for the 8's. They would be more dense, which I think (w/o a mathematical formula) would be the way to go. The shot column of the 7/8 load is not tall enough (as it sits in the shell) to be very dense from back at 27. That same load in a 20ga. would have more energy b/c of a higher shot column in the shell. I think the 8's would be better. There would be a longer shot string also. If you use the 7/8 load, I prefer to use a one oz. wad to hold the shot together just a shade longer out of the barrel. I use a 1 1/4 oz wad for 1 1/8 loads also. All the loads I shoot, I alsways use the next wad size bigger, unless I'm loading for skeet. Then ou want the load to open up as fast as it can for a better advantage. Good question. Kind of a double edged sword.
    all the best, -Patrick

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both 7.5 and 8 shot retain more energy than is required to break a target. A relatively small amount of the energy in the shot is transfered to the target, the rest of the energy remains in the shot as it travels past the target.

powderburn- I am totally confused by your post. How does the height of the shot column in a shell have any effect on energy and shot string? Also, how could a larger wad hold the shot in a tighter pattern? I don't understand.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your reading comprehension skills need to be improved. The answer to the question asked is the 7 1/2s traveling at the highest legal speed. That would be the 7/8 oz load. Each individual pellet would deliver more energy to the target, presuming the pellet hit the target. HMB

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Is there an on line energy chart and ballistic coefficients for the larger shot sizes, especially buckshot?

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

hmb, yes you are correct, I goofed.

I did not have the exact info needed. The chart I have gives energy and velocity for loads at 1200, 1220, 1240, 1330, not 1290 and 1350, if you want specifics. A given charge of 7-1/2 at 1240 fps for example has 1.32 foot pounds at 40 yards and a charge at 1330 has 1.42 foot pounds at 40 yards. While I can break birds from the 27 with 7/8oz load, why would I want to, when a 1oz or 1-1/8 offers more pellet count.

Brian in Oregon
    Shotgun Sports has a chart they publish often and it might be on line.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb- The shot with the greatest energy may not deliver the most energy to the target. If it requires 0.2 ft/pounds of energy for a shot to break a target and if the shot that hits the target has 1.2 ft/pounds of energy, then 0.2 ft/pounds would be delivered to the target and the remaining 1 ft/pound would carry the shot past the target. And, if a target would be hit by a shot with a shot that had 10 ft/pounds of energy, 0.2 ft/pounds would be transfered to the target and the remaining energy would be retained by the shot.

Once the energy threshold required to break the target is reached, no more energy can be transfered from the shot to the target.

Pat Ireland

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Pat wrote; "If it requires 0.2 ft/pounds of energy for a shot to break a target"

Is that for a hit on the rim, or a low angle hit on the dome, or? What about the dusted but not broken targets. The impact is obvious, but the pellet simply glanced off.

I would think that every speck of available energy is needed to break targets that are hit low angle.

10. brigade

brigade TS Member

Thanks for the input. I think hmb answered my question, Thanks, Ed

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Yes, Ed, HMB answered your question accurately, but it will lead you to make the wrong decision. And I don't mean wrong in one aspect, wrong in every aspect.

Neil

12. just_bob

just_bob Member

It seems that statistically speaking you are better off to hit the target with something rather than miss the target with anything.

On average anyway.

just_bob

13. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view┬Ąt=shotgunstats-1-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

14. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

HMB, If both payloads are traveling at maximum legal speed (as per the original post) they would be the same energy wise per pellet. Read more carefully before telling Pat to read more carefully. Bud Wood

15. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

Hap, my mistake. I apologize. I'm thr onr who needs to read more carefully. Sorry. Bud Wood

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

My question is not how much energy a single pellet would have but how much energy a single shot will transfer the the target before it passes through the target.

Pat Ireland

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bud, we could delete so that's where I'm headed now. Not a problem Bob. Hap

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, softer lead shot will part with more energy on impact than will harder or steel shot. Trick is, to find what a two bit aim needs for the most hits on a mis-pointed clay is my thinkin? Hap

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

drhuner,,there appears to be a typo on the charts.

In the TIME/DROP EXTERIOR BALLISTICS section, the Time of Flight (seconds) listed for 7.5 shot @ 1240 fps at 60 yds is listed as .133. It should probably read .233.

Otherwise, very good info.

20. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Yea Padalin I see what you are refering too, ( very observant ) I did not prepare the chart I just copied it from somewhere.. But you are correct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.