1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot drop area

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1 ounce, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 ounce

1 ounce TS Member

I would like to know the distance from the trap house and what area that the bulk of the shot drops for reclaming. what is considered the reclaim area.

gary

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have been dredging lead by hand at our club. We have a wooded fall zone. So far the heaviest zone has been in the 175/225yard zone. Lost intrest, 6hrs of hard work yeilded 80lbs semi cleaned shot.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At my club I can get 100 lbs in half an hour. The hardest part is lifting the bucket. You need a flat shovel, 2 metal screens attached to a wooden frame, and a spackle bucket.
    Take the shovel and make small piles of shot by scrapping the ground. Next shovel the dirt and shot pile onto the first screen. The first screen lets the shot pass through and keeps the big pieces of junk out. The shot and sand and fine particles of dirt fall onto the second screen. The second screen lets the sand pass through but keeps the shot on the screen.
    Pour the 98% clean shot into the spackle bucket and take it home. At home pour about 10 lbs at a time into a flat plastic container and get rid of the last of the crap with a vacuum cleaner. Pour into a 8 lb plastic powder jug with a couple teaspoons of powdered graphite and shake well before using. HMB

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

roots,trees,brush...really slows ya down. Maybe this spring we will clear a bit more of the heavy brush.

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Wow 6 hrs for 80 lbs. I usually can screen out 6-700 lbs in 6 hrs. this past summer I have reclamed over 3000 lbs. I only do it when the dirt is dry.

I have two screens set up on a wood frame with two 12 volt radiator fans. The top one gets the big stuff out and the fans blow the light stuff out letting the shot fall thru the bottom into a bucket.

Here's a couple of afternoons work.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/?action=view&current=reclaimedshot.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yeah it sucked,,,,most time was spent clearing the brush and dead branches. Our fall zone is very dense brush oak and pine. Very little open space. Theres also a fine messy root layer that makes skiming the top layer very difficult.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Most of this came from under a couple of large cedar trees. It was trapped in several inches if leaf debris and the top 2 inches of soil. It has been accumulating for many years.

Jim

8. 1 ounce

1 ounce TS Member

thank you maclellan 1911 for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.