1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Doubles for the First Time

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Colonel Reb, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Ugh! I hit maybe 10 of 100.. I used an 1100, which did not work out for me. It was hard to load with that safety release button, which distracted me a little. Then I guess the working of the action was distracting. I think I would do much better with a double. The main thing is seeing two birds fly in two totally different directions and thinking, "oh crap, how am I going to hit them both." I also think I blew it on the choke selection. I left in the singles choke for the first 50 and broke probably 2 or 3 total. I replaced it with the midrange choke and broke more. Probably should have put in the longrange handicap choke. Only had one dead pair for the match. Lots of double losses and dead bird/lost bird.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

There's no reason you should be seeing two targets going in different directions. Shoot the straight away target first, and when you are done with that one go shoot the other one.

The choke isn't the problem.

Scott

3. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Thinking is the problem. If you can shoot singles, then you should be able to hit 25 first birds when you know where they are going. That techinique would result in around 50/100. Work up from there. ;)

4. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

When I started I could NEVER hit the second bird for some reason. Using an IM and 1 1/8oz of 7's, so the equipment wasn't the problem.

I started shooting them backwards and after 2-3 rounds I've improved to a 43/50.

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Shoot the straightaway first and then be sure to keep your head on the stock for the second shot. Most people starting out will lift their head hunting for the second bird. Lost bird every time.

6. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

Don't shoot doubles. Shoot two singles. Bang....bang. Look at each target by itself.

When you get good at it, then you shoot the doubles pair..ba-bang. Get the basics down first, just shoot each target.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I think Dave90T has the best advice I ever heard

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

shoot right at the second target as your swing to the target takes care of the lead.

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I wonder how he dose it with a 90-T ??????

10. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

must re-load really fast

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think you had the wrong shells in the gun. You had the 2nd bird shell in the chamber and the 1st bird shell in the magazine ... yep ... I think it was all the shells fault.

Unless maybe the shooter is to blame?

12. sam952

sam952 TS Member

Parkerguy is right, It is very very addictive and way fun to boot. Lets see, addictive and fun, yep sounds like a plan to me.

13. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

I wish I could take credit for that advice, but I was just passing it along in hopes I could one day follow it myself and hit some pairs! Thats what I was told to do...takes some practice.

PS. Haha, I use a 3200 for doubles. ;-)

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

More addictive than... never mind. I shot my second ever round of doubles this past weekend at Hog Heaven--and I too am absolutely hooked!

My first round was a 64 at the Westy in Sep., this weekend I improved to a 72 with no practice in between.

I shoot a 3200 also Dave90T and figured out that yes, my top barrel does in fact shoot lower than the bottom and that I didn't need to float the target as much. I never got a 10, but had a couple of 9s, 8s and 7s--not too shabby. I get a kick out of knowing exactly where the first bird will be as I make a mental mark where it will appear while watching closely when others on the squad call.

All I gotta do now is get enough dubs in so I can shoot my class, and of course buy even more shells. Have fun!

Guy Babin

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

On occasion, Leo Harrison conducts a "doubles only" class. There is no one better to learn from....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.