1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot distance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

How far does shot travel? Assume that #9 at 1100fps will not go as far as #7 1/2 at 1300 fps but what is the range that each travels? Trying to do some new field layouts and want to know where they have to be placed relative to property lines, etc.

thanks

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link. 210 yards for #7.5 at 1200 fps with a 30 degree angle.

Wayne

3. kene

kene TS Member

thanks -- does anyone have any information about effect of altitude on shot fall distance as well? for all practical purposes is the distance at sea level the same as at 7000ft.

4. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Thats a pretty neat Chart Wayne

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

Kene, a golf ball goes a lot further a mile above sea level than at sea level so you have to assume that shot will also. Mike

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

my guess is that it is about 6-10 per cent. Seems like we used to use about 10 yds for a 150 yd golf shot at 5000 feet or so, and that would be about 6.6%, so maybe around 10% at 7,000 ft.

d

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

actually the air density drops by about 23% from sea level to 7,000 ft. but I will leave Neil to figure out the effect on wind friction.

d

8. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

hey there is all kinds of stuff on this, check out this link, looks like humidity has a ton to do with it too.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/31.cfm

d

9. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Traploads fired at 4000 ft. elevation or more will hit out to 200 yds. from the backside of the traphouse, over level ground. Anything less is 180-185 yds over the same scenario.

Dick Gries

10. kene

kene TS Member

Thanks all -- Looked at the website ddr referenced -- thought I was done with that much math after retiring and was hoping could get a "quick" answer but there is nothing quick with so many variables. As I said in the initial posting, we are looking at modifying the field layout at the club to accommodate skeet as well as trap. Seems that "physics" that I have seen says that shot fall should be less than 225-250 yds under realistic assumptions of muzzle velocity, shot size, temp/altitude, etc. But I found a reference that says NRA recommends designing for 300yds. That would be about a 20-25% margin. Also need to look into what the local building code / regulation has to say. Anyone have any other references about "design to" requirements for trap and / or skeet fields.

Appreciate the help / comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.