1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot deformation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zeroed4x, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

What ?

One of the biggest factors in shot deformation is the length of your choke tube.
    Short choke tubes have aggressive tapers. Longer chokes have less aggressive tapers and allow the shot more time to realign before exiting the barrel.

Lengthened forcing cones that are polished will also help. Most gunsmiths will tell you that a 2 1/2" - 3" polished forcing cone is all that is required and any longer is a myth.

All high velocity and magnum loads will suffer some shot deformation unless you are using steel shot. Plated shot has less deformation. The higher the velocity the more deformation of lead shot. Payloads are irrelevant unless the velocity is lowered.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

shot deformation takes place on ignition, well over by the time it gets to the choke.

3. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

If deformed shot is a real problem, why not line your barrels with highly polished ceramic? Some of you guys spend more for a high end gun that I did for my house, but that's OK, if you got it, flaunt it. Everyone is looking to better their patterns, and I agree, but most of time, it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian. Just my very hunble opinion. Herb