1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT COOLENT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

WOULS A ALUM RADITOR COOL BETTER THAN A REG ONE? I HAVE FOUND THEM WITH SHIPPING FOR 50-125 ON EBAY. NEW ONES. I AM WANTING ONE TO COOL MY COOLENT WHEN MAKILG SHOT. IS ANY ONE ELSE RUNNING A CONTINIOUS SHOT MAKING SYSTEM? I AM NOT YET BUT IT DOES LOOK GOOD. is any one using range lead or adding any thing to ww? thanks charles

2. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

For the life of me I don;t understand what the deal is on using cooling gimicks to make shot , I;ve used a fifteen gallon aluminum tank for years and the coolant stay cool enough all day to make good shot, and by all day I mean an eight our continuous run.

3. marotta

marotta Member

Tgun90

What kind of coolant are you using and what are the dimensions of your cooling tank?

4. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Racertracer,fifteen by fifteen by nineteen, used med safe 200 until two years ago ,began to get low on it and started adding water soluble cutting oil to it, began getting low again and added laundry detergent to to top off the tank ,still makes great shot.Just on a guess I think any non flammable water soluble fluid of the right consistency will work as a coolent,Just my thoughts.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

tgun90, some don't have the volume of cooling solution that you or I have. I have one set up with a 11 gallon tank and can run just about all day with it also. With this much solution it dissipates the heat well and takes longer to come up in temperature.

I also have two set ups with 5 gallon tanks and with double drippers. I need to cool the solution, so I can finish a 125 pound run. If it gets to 160 the solution will allow the bb's to stick to together. By that time there's not a lot of solution left in the tank. I use an old steam heater and run the solution through it.

Ajax

6. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to keep my brake fluid as cool as possible,reason being brake fluid i get is free,and rinses with water,and has a flash point of 275 degrees,my tank holds 14 gallons and my cooling system(10x10 tranny cooler sitting in a cooler with 25 lbs of ice)never lets the temp raise moore than 10 degrees,and ive found the cooler temp gives rounder shot,mark jones

7. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Ajax, I guess we gotta be a little crazy taking all that time making shot that we could buy but I do enjoy tinkering, and I know this may sound a bit silly but I;ve made my best shot on rainy days, or days with high humidity,just wondered if anyone else had noticed that.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

tgun90, I live where it rains a lot. I normally make my big runs in Oct and Nov. I have noticed at other times of the year the window on good shot can be pretty narrow. It was close to 80 today and I made 125 pounds of 7/1/2's and 120 pounds of 7's. There are definitely times when the shotmakers run better than other times.

Yes, I think we are all a little crazy. My wife will argue about the degree!LOL.

Ajax

9. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Ajax, good shootin

10. 686

686 TS Member

TGUN90 is your 2 different sizes from using 2 diffrent sets of drippers or from scring them in to the 2 sizes?

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

686, if you're referring to me. I use two different sets of drippers that are set up in different ladles. I have a number of different ladles set up for different shot sizes. When I want to change sizes I change ladles and don't have to mess with changing the drippers every time. Then the shot also goes through a sorting method.

Ajax