1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot coolent

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

will sierra antifreez stay cooler longer than hydrolic fluid? a friend that just got a liton shot maker told me he ran it for 3 hrs in sierra antifreez 6 gal and it did not get over 135 i just got a jimmy stewert shot maker and am using hydrolic fluid in a 4 gal tank . after 45 min it was up to 160 i stoped. i have to cerliquet my coolent. thanks charles

2. Lither

Lither TS Member

although he does have more coolant, maybe you letting you lead get to hot in the ladle. How does your shot look? does it show signs of being hot in the ladle? many of the 220 users put a reo-stat on them to controll the heat.

maybe use bigger ingots to help hold the heat doen.

my two cents.

3. duke76

duke76 Member

I let my hydraulic oil get well over 200 degrees before I start to worry about it, as long as it keeps making good shot, what the heck just make sure the oil does not splash on the lip otherwise you will have a fire.

4. guncase

guncase TS Member

that is exactly why I always used antifreeze... Didn't want no fire,, and it ran longer before it heated!! Rinses off just as good or better than oil.. Paul

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

question some fo you have been useing the non tox antifreze is this safety thing for you or do you like the color

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ricks 1, I use the low-tox stuff because it has about the right viscosity, heat transfer rate, safety considerations, and availibility were high on my list.

Jim

7. 686

686 TS Member

i am makinh 9s have only ran it 2 times. i am using hydraulic oil and it looks like it is making good shot. i have not made a cooling syatem yet . it gets 180 in 1 hr. cleaning is a mess that is why i am going to try sierra antifreez. i steal want to make a cooling system. has ant one changed from hydraulic oil to antifreez? and what adjustments did you have to make.? after i make about 500 lbs of 9s i will change to 8s then 7 1/2. what different things will i see or have to watch out for with the bigger sizes. thanks for every ones help. charles