Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shot Coolant

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jollytrapshooter 
#1 ·
+1 for me Ajax. I run my coolant through a ATV radiator, and have the radiator submerged under water, and continuous water flow over the radiator. 10tenner

#2 ·
I am also running Low-tox without any problems. We had quite a few dimples when we first started out, but we added some liquid laundry detergent, and that fixed them mostly. What little dimples were left seemed to just work out as we did more shot. You have to run straight coolant, with no water. We run 10 gallons, and type of detergent doesn't matter, I looked all over the place for a specific kind of detergent, but everyone just said "liquid laundry detergent". So we just went and bought the cheapest stuff we could. Hope this helps, Josh.

#3 ·
Ajax, I am using a 20 MM ammo can, approx. 8 gallons, and approx. another 1/2 gallon through the radiator. As you said the coolant seems to be too thin, and my setup makes the best shot when the coolant is below 75 degrees. Other shotmakers had dimples when running the pink RV antifreeze which is to thin. When Low Tox antifreeze gets to hot I get out of round shot. How much Laundry detergent did you use? The brand you are using might have to much water content. Right now I am using Purex laundry detergent. I have used Costco brand laundry detergent that is thicker. I am running 1 pint for 5 to 6 gallons of antifreeze. 10tenner

#4 ·
Get a radiator from a wrecking yard and put one of those 12 volt cooling fans behind it on a 12 volt battery with a battery charger to keep it charged and have the fan running to cool the coolant, for more consistent temperature add a Refrigeration adjustable thermostat and set the temp at what works best and it will be controlled there. Use a -20 to 100 degree t-stat or close to this range the sta will have a normally open and normally closed and common contacts use the contacts that close on temp rise, this will cool the coolant.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#6 ·
Ajax, I would stand the coolant out in a open container and perferably the sun, and let some water evaporate. I personally do not know but would be concernd about boiling, my change the composition of the antifreeze, but I am not for sure. Give it a try, and report back. I wish I could have been more help, but I am running a batch system. One hot July I ran a lot of shot before I had a cooling system, and was getting steam from the antifreeze. After two - three hundred pounds, the coolant had changed from the overheating, and the shot never was as good. JollyTrapShooter, nice photos, and your system is similar to mine,and I do have the over flow at the top, and I am to running a batch system, but I have a shut of valve at the bottom and open it when running into a 1/2 gallon bucket that has a submersible pump, and the coolant is run through a radiator that is submersed in a container filled with water, and then back into the coolant tank. I am running the the system outside. I have the outside tap hose running over the the submersed radiator. Very little tap water is need to keep things cool. How many pounds can you put into your shot collection basket? I have done up to 90 lbs with mine but it is hard on the back, so I try to keep it under 75 lbs. I bought some larger 50mm ammo cans, had a local shop make side plates to extend the sides were you now have wires, drilled some holes and bolted the plates to the side, and drilled one 1/2 in hole at the top of the plates. Ran 1/2 in threaded bar, with PVC pipe over the top to cover the threads, through the side plate holes, and bolted the 1/2 in rods to the side plates. Make a very strong handle. (Purchased 1/2 inch rod at Homdepot) 10tenner

#8 ·
Here is a bit of info. that I have collected, whether it`s of any use??
Flat spots=drop too far, coolant too viscous
Dimples, holes= too thin
SG of coolant 1062-1066
1-20 soap to antifreeze
Out of round= thick
dimples= thin

Hope there is somethingfor you, cheers

#11 ·
Low-Tox was originally made for that reason, if a pet happened to drink any of it, the anti-freeze wouldn't harm it. However, with LEAD shot dropping into the anti-freeze, I would think it wouldn't be low-tox for long. We modified the lids on our 2 ammo cans so we can just put them back on after we are finished making shot. Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.