Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shot coolant

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  10Tenner 
#1 ·
who uses a goos pump and antifreez? do you leave it in the pump after stopping making shot? i got my raditor cooling system hooked up this weekend. it is grate. room temp was 95 . after 3 hrs the coolant was 105. the next day i let the coolant go to 125 before turning on the pump. it went down to 105 and stayed there. i think my shot came out rounder.

#2 ·
Like an idiot, i used a garden fountain pump in my recirculating system, which turns off around 100 degrees, so I have been making shot around 80-85. I have a coil of copper tubing tubing that sits in the sump with a garden hose running to it, my well water is about 50 some degrees, so it keeps it cool.

my shot is "round like" it is not popcorn ir dimpled or anything like that, but it is not round. it is mostly round w/ some flat spots on the sides is the best i can describe it. After tumbling for an hour, it is fairly round.

would switching out the pump and making shot at 125 degress make it more round?

Len

#5 ·
do you all know that when the shot is fired its not round any more if that was the big thing why would golf ball have dimpples the gun is the thing some like 9s others like 7 6 4 ihave 4 barrels for a A5 they have their shot they like no matter home or store tail shot shoots as good a any try it you will see rick

#7 ·
My shot isn't very round either. The first batch I loaded 7/8 and 1 1/8, took it to the range and put it through my worst scoring gun. 25 x 25 from the 16 yd line with the 7/8 oz, then 25 x 25 from the 27 yd. line with the 1 1/8 oz. I ain't changing nothin'. I just with I could do that all the time.

Buz

#12 ·
I have purchased crop oil, the same as used by Jim Stewart but haven't gotten to use it yet as I am still building my system. He demonstrated my shotmaker and the shot was round. His system allowed him to pull the made shot out from the end and then set it on top of the tank to drain. After draining he could wash it off and then dry it and size it. It worked real well. It's been 100 degrees here since I got back with it and have not been able weld the tank and put it all together. Jackie B.

#14 ·
Does the base oil amount make a difference on Crop oil, I can get these brands Superb 92% base oil, and Herbimax 83% base oil. Jim Stewart's son is using Crop oil I may have to give him a call. Jim told me you can run crop oil at higher temperates and not affect the roundness of the shot, and there is no change in its consistency after using it a while. 10Tenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.