1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**SHOT COOLANT QUESTION**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I watched Chipmaker's thread of his shotmaker, and read his comments.

He said he was using machine coolant from the tank he uses for his shop equipment.

He then said it was mixed at a 6% ratio(oil to water)

I know that you can read this ratio using a refractometer, but for those of us without this meter, how much water can I expect to loose making lets say, 200 lbs of shot at 650 Degrees from evaporation?

Also, some say they cut the machine oil with only distilled water, while others say they use City supplied tap water? What's the difference?

My well water is terrible from without the softener (Iron)

I know distilled water has most of the harmful minerals removed, but what is the advantage other than this?

The coolant I am about to try has a chemical to control bacteria when proper mix is maintained.

Any help?

Danny

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use Trim 206 at a 1 part Trim and 5 parts of hose water. I don't seem to have any problems with bacteria. But, I do loose some to evaporation between shot drop days, about once a month.

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks shot410ga.

Any dimples with machine coolant?

Another person said the distilled water helps keep the bacteria level under control?!?

Danny

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I dont know about machine oil I use Walmart anti freeze and mix it 2 gallons of pure antifreeze to 1 galolong of city water. I get a few dimples when the coolant is cold and run it til the coolant tank is HOT to the touch.

Its not an exact science but will take a lil tweeking here and there. What works for some may or may not work for you. Lot of trial and error.

Jerry Lewis

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I dont know about machine oil I use Walmart anti freeze and mix it 2 gallons of pure antifreeze to 1 galolong of city water. I get a few dimples when the coolant is cold and run it til the coolant tank is HOT to the touch.

Its not an exact science but will take a lil tweeking here and there. What works for some may or may not work for you. Lot of trial and error.

Jerry Lewis

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I get small dimples. But, If you want to really get rid of the dimples, buy a 15 lb. rock tumbler drop in some 1/2-1 oz. ball bearings, and your homemade shot. Add a little graphite. I tried this and after a day I had factory looking shot with no dimples. It absolutely looked brand new. As a matter of fact, I've got some tumbling right now. I guess you could do the same thing with a cement mixer or a paint can shaker, but I don't have either one.

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Why use all these weird/dangerous to pets concoctions? Pure liquid like "Dawn" works perfect as a shot coolant

8. rcnuti

rcnuti TS Member

Try using peanut oil or any other used cooking oil. No dimples, shot drops almost silently in the oil. A bit harder to was off, but the quality of the shot is very good.

R. Nuti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.