1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot checking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm reloading 1 and 1 1/8 oz shells. Should I trust my universal charge bar or do I need to weight the shot for accuracy?

Thanks, Blueraven

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ALWAYS a good idea to measure.

If nothing else, just so you know!

3. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Any recommendations on a scale that will measure 1.125 oz accurately? The ones I've seen only .1 accuracy or should I worry about being more exact than that?

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I would just use the universal charge bar. Any more than 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz would lead to a bad crimp providing you are using the correct wad. Its the powder that you have be precise with.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Blueraven, at the very least you are going to need a scale to check powder weight so just get a basic balance beam with 500 grain capacity and you will be good to go. RCBS's work fine. The cheap digital scales from Cabelas don't work; at least mine didn't.

Neil

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neil is absolutely right. You need an accurate scale to measure powder charges, so you might as well get one that will accurately measure your shot charges too.

Contrary to Neil's experience, I got a cheap Frankford Arsenal scale from Midway USA, and it seems to work quite nicely.

Comes with a 20 gram test/calibration weight, and its usually spot on. I periodically test it against my balance beam scale just to confirm its reading properly.

BTW, digital scales are NOT more accurate than balance beam scales. They're just easier to use and read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.