1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot by the pallet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Has anyone ever bought shot by the pallet? Can you usually get a discount when buying in this quantity? I would like to stock up on it for this summer, spring, and fall and I don't really want to pay $30/bag for it if I don't have to.

2. skipsor

skipsor Member

One of the guys in our club was going to order a pallet of shot until they told him how much it weighs, in the tons somewhere. That's when he realized his garage floor would probably cave in so he gave up on the idea.

I forget the exact weight but it was humongous. I seem to remember that the cost of shipping that much weight was going to be expensive too.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rich, Yes you can get a small discount around $l.00 a bag maybe a bit more. But you will need a comercial address and a forklift to unload the truck. Its a quick stop and they will not let you unload the 80 or so bags by hand. 18 wheelers don't like to go into residental areas for unloading, but It may be done. You will still need a forklift that you need to rent and pay for drop off and pick-up and one to two day rental as well. It might work better for multi pallets with several shooters involved and spliting the forklift rental and shipping. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

False alarm. I thought maybe MIA pulled a Dick Cheney.

-Gary

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Pull & Mark,

I happen to have a commercial address and I also happen to have a forklift so I would be well prepared!

Any idea who I would contact on the east coast to see about prices?

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rich, You can try Gamaliel first. Connie's components,Graf $ Son. to name a few. I would also ask on this site for places that local shooters in Pa. Ohio,and a few more states that have a high number of shooters that might be priced good. Bottom line is now, may not be a good time as prices are sky high. If you can wait until summer and see what prices are then. Prices were high last winter and came down last summer. Prices might do that again, or I might be very wrong and they keep going up. Hard to tell. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm going to watch the markets and try to time a large buy if I decide to go ahead with it. For only a $1 a bag it's probably not worth it for me to buy a pallet of it but if prices drop and I can save a buck a bag it would be tempting.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A pallet of shot is not alot of shot . (80 BAGS) Maybe a years supply if your not shooting every weekend .

9. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Rich219 I have bought it buy the skid. Weight is about 1 ton 80 bags. I haul it on a trailer and we got an extra box from them and hand transferd the bags to it when we got it home. You could call C.A.C. in PA. and check the price.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Rich CAC in Pa.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Good one Gary. LOL.

The last time I bought shot buy the pallet was when a local discount chain was getting out of the business. Late 70's early 80's, I really don't remember exactly now. I can tell you it was between 5 and 6 dollars a bag, so that'll give you an idea of the time line. We had a small truck crane with a telescoping boom and after cleaning out the Burlington, MA store manually, a whole nother story, we took the truck crane to the Saugus store. The kids in shipping were some impressed when we were able to scope into the building and grab the pallets and remove them from the building. The truck didn't match what they needed for a pallet jack.

Everything was fine until we took it to my "partner in crime's" house. Now it's well after dark and he get's his brother and another friend to help unload. As we're scoping the boom out to put a pallet into his garage, the pallet breaks and about a dozen or more bags fall off from about 10 feet and just splatter all over the hot top. You talk about walking on ball bearings. We were just happy no one got hurt , but we still laugh about it.

In later years when it was going at 14 or 15 a bag I got into another "partnership". Then it was 16,then 18, and got up to 20-22, then down again. When I voiced my opinion that perhaps we'd bought wrong a couple at 18 I think, and it was going down to who knows where, and we're going to get killed. His comment was, we'll just buy more and average it out. I loaded the end of that stuff a couple of years ago. Good memories and a ton of laughs.
    Shoot often and well while we can, Bob

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have bought a ton of shot several times. It was not a large enough order for me to get a discount from the distributor. I did save some money on shipping. Shipping costs (drop charge) for one bag or one ton was the same.

Pat Ireland

13. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Rich, depending on where you live at on the east coast you may be able to get a ton cheaper at your state shoot. Often times a dealer will have very good prices.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Find 21 others to share a whole load and that might save some too.

15. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Member

If you are in the Ohio area, Dawson's Enterprises in Canton will sell a pallet. I believe you only get 1-2 dollars off on a bag if you order a ton. I have no idea what it would cost to ship.

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Shipping is not as expensive as you might thiink. Perhaps a buck a bag. Think of it like this... 24 pallet positions in a truck, X $80 = near $2000. You cna move a lot of goods quite a ways for 2 grand. I dropped a pallet load from Chicago to near peoria last week and it cost me $60. Weight does make a difference but mostly it is calculated on pallet position and the distance.

Shipping runs about $2 a loaded mile. For the whole losaded trailer. So you common carriers can do this reasonably.

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

25 lbs X 80 bags = 2000 lbs

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yeah. Let Bob and me do the math, OK?

19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The local place is asking $31/bag, I called CAC in PA and they quoted me $30/bag + $100 shipping.

20. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Xti
    You state conniescomponenents in PA is this a miss print because I only know of the one in WS.
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.