Status
Not open for further replies.

Shot bushing "shim"

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave P 
#1 ·
Shot bushing

PW 2000 Loader-

1. Powder drop is right on now- 16.5 plus or minus .2 grains Red Dot

2. 1 1/8 bushing drops 505 grains of nortwest magnum should be 492.2 or close anyway.

My fix= A couple pieces of electrical tape inside bushing and it now drops 493 all day long.

My other thought is buy a 5.5 1 1/16 and hope it drops around 492-493 since the 6 is/was dropping 505

Any other ideas??

Bill

#3 ·
Shot bushing

Rather than using plastic tape that doesn't hold up well under lead, buy a roll of HVAC installer's aluminum tape...real aluminum, not silver plastic (home centers sell it). It's virtually indestructible and can be used equally well in both shot and powder bushings.

Morgan

#4 ·
Shot bushing

For a nominal fee I will make a special shot bushing (you specify the I.D.). I have a set (3 over, 3 under by 3% increments) of shot bushings that I use to tweak a load. Sure beats trying to add tape or file them out! Makes a marginal crimping load look good.

Jim Skeel

#5 ·
Shot bushing

"For a nominal fee I will make a special shot bushing (you specify the I.D.). I have a set (3 over, 3 under by 3% increments) of shot bushings that I use to tweak a load. Sure beats trying to add tape or file them out! Makes a marginal crimping load look good."

Jim, I'm curious...

If you're juggling the weight of the shot load to makes the crimps look pretty, how much does the weight of added shot raise the chamber pressure when the powder lights off??

Morgan

#7 ·
Shot bushing

Most factory shot bushings are on the light side. They tend to be sized to drop the nominal amount with #9 shot.

I try to keep within the legal limit for shot weight (2% over nominal). Pressure will not be a concern at 5% or 6% over nominal. Pressure is not a factor at less than nominal drops. I am usually reducing the shot drop to improve the crimping.

I just find it handy to have control of the shot drop. Makes for better reloads.

Jim Skeel

#8 ·
Shot bushing

I have since discovered that the weight is based on "pure" lead so with various brands of shot,reclaimed shot,home made shot etc,i dont think it will be realistic to expect any bushing to drop exactly what the weight should be..Any thoughts??

Bill

#9 ·
Shot bushing

That's the way it has been since I've been reloading. I bought a large quantity of reclaimed shot. My 1 1/8 P-W (Hornady) bushing drops 472 grains of it as compared to 505 grains of Eagle, There are 547 grains in 1 1/8 oz. The reclaimed shot is that much harder (and lighter) than Eagle. The difference in the shot count is 22 pellets or 5%.

I've been playing with an idea. The "standard" pellet count for 1 1/8 oz. of #8 shot is 460. Based on the weight of the pellet drops for my reclaimed shot and on the strict interpretation of "1 1/8 oz of shot", I should be able to build a load containing 510 pellets of #8 shot, an increase of 10% over the present count for that size shot. I just have to work out the pressure/velocity numbers for the components.

Morgan

#11 ·
Shot bushing

I can see that those 13 pellets are a serious problem I wouldn't shoot those shell if I were you they might raise the pressure to dangerous levels and they will definitely effect the speed. Why you might not be able break any targets with those. Some of you guy need to get a life "how much does the weight of added shot raise the chamber pressure when the powder lights off??" WOW if 1oz is in the neighborhood of 55 pellets less and the pressure drops 2000 PSI I would bet that 13 pellets more are way off the scope. Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

#12 ·
Shot bushing

"Morgan, 1 1/8 oz does not equal 547 grains. It is roughly 492.6."

You're right...I entered 1.25 instead of 1.125 into Google for conversion.

"Some of you guy need to get a life ..."

...and that is from a man who apparently sits in front of his computer searching the postings for things to belittle. A worthy avocation to be sure, and he's becoming serious competition for Dr. Phil as well!

Morgan

#13 ·
Shot bushing

A quick note about tape. 3M makes superb electrical tape in their top-of-the-line brands. If your bushing is clean when you apply the tape, it will not come off. I've had pieces of tape in my bushings for years. On the rare occasions I've tried to take it out, it took some effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.