1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot brand question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoottilithurts, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

is lawrence brand & west coast shot the same? thanks milt luther

2. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

No But owned by same corporation.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

A few years ago, I compared a sample form one bag of Lawrence and one bag of West Coast. The West Coast was more uniform in size and roundness. Both were of equal hardness. This very limited test put the idea in my mind that West Coast was a little better than Lawrence. But, if I were to test several different lots of the two brands, I might come to a different conclusion.

My "roundness test" involved putting shot on a piece of 8X24 in glass with a wood fence and slightly elevating one end and observing how many shot rolled and how far they rolled. My size test used a piece of 8X30' glass for the bottom and apiece of 8X24 glass for the top. The two pieces of glass were set at a slight angle that allowed the shot to go into the taper but not get to the bottom. Different size shot would travel different distances between the angled pieces of glass.

Pat Ireland

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

too much time on your hands pat?

5. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I go remington brand then west coast then any other shot than lawrence brand

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

tuscarora 99 - Do you really prefer Eagle and Star shot over Lawrence?

flip- Strange questions sometimes just pop up in my mind and I fret about them until I can find an answer. It is just a weakness I have.

Pat Ireland

7. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I do. Not so much eagle but definitely star. I had an incident where i shot at a tournament with reloads for the sixteens with 1oz. of lawrence brand at about 1200 fps and i literally turned targets left and right and they didnt break i couldnt believe what i was seeing. i came out with a 91 but could have had a 94 or 95 otherwise. It was a very strange occurence.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

toscarora99, no chance you were just a teensy bit off for the day, eh? ;-)......Bob Dodd

9. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I was just a little but i mean i literally turned the birds left and right. I dont see how that is possible with out at least taking a little chip off.

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

tuscarora 99:

It isn’t uncommon to hit a Federal Champion II target and move it noticeably off course without producing a visible piece.

Champion II’s are known for minimal breakage during shipping, handling and when run thru automatic traps. Knowledgeable shooters know them to have minimal breakage when hit with lead shot unless the hit is fairly well centered using 3 dram 7 ½’s.

sissy

11. Trap4

Trap4 Member

For what it is worth, probably not much, I have never had a problem with Lawrence mag shot. I shoot handloads in all ATA events and do very well with Lawrence shot.

Trap-4

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trap-4 - I like you don't have a problem with Lawrence shot, but we have no idea after shooting a 98 with Lawrence if we would have done better, the same or worse if we had been shooting West Coast brand shot.

tuscarora 99- Your dislike of Lawrence shot might be based on a couple of different things. But, because you dislike it, Lawrence could give you a bag of the very best shot ever made and it would not work well for you. Having confidence in your load is possibly more important than how the load actually shoots. The mental part of shooting trap is very important.

Pat Ireland

PS- For me, it is critical that if I begin on post 4, that my first shell is the fourth one from the left in the box. I always match the first shell on each post with the shell in that position in the box.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Magnum grade lawrence shot is as good or better then West coast. tuscarora 99 Were you shooting in the Pacific NorthWest? We have NorthWest Brand Targets and they are very very hard, lots of moved targets with factory premium traploads in size 8 or smaller and even 7 1/2's it's hard to smoke a target. Jeff

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Given a choice today. I would select West Coast Shot every time. Eagle brand is made in Peru and seems to vary in size from bag to bag. The old Black Diamond shot was outstanding until they started to close down, then their quality control went to s--t. Fred

15. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I was told by someone that West Coast uses tin instead of antimony. Just wondering if thie could be true.

Clyde

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Taracorp, uses 92% lead, 2% tin, and 6% antimony to make their magnum shot.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The way I hear it Tin is the primary ingredient of antimony, no matter what the percentage of antimony is. Break-em all. Jeff

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Tin is an element, leas is an element, antimony is an element. They don't have anything in common except for an atomic number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.