1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Shot Black Rimmed Targets for the first time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Saturday I went to a registered shoot, where the club threw orange domed black rimmed targets. This was the first time that I have shot targets like this. Before this the clubs I have gone to have always thrown a solid colored target. Wither it be solid orange, green, or white but always a solid color. For some reason I was having a difficult time seeing the targets. The weather was overcast with a little bit of rain at times. I tried two different colors of lenses in my glasses however changing lenses did not seem to make much of a differece. Has anyone else experienced this? I know that this was only the first time that I have experienced this but I will see it again.

Jim Bradbury

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We throw all orange the majority of the year, as they also show up well under our lights. We order in some orange domes for our registered shoot, as that seems to be what our shooters want. I don't like them. The all orange look like garbage can lids to me, compared to the black rim. But, you know those trap shooters, fickle bunch. Whine, if you have them, whine, if you don't have them. Mark

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm the opposite I like the targets with the full black rim and hate the all orange things. I can't focus on blaze orange it's just a fuzzy blob, I need the black rim to get some definition and focus on that leading edge to shoot well. But that's me.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

It seems that most clubs throw the black rimmed targets so I just as soon practice on them also. I too have trouble focusing or temporarily losing the target on cloudy days or around the tree lines. I just concentrate harder and hope for the best.

5. mag410

mag410 Member

I hate the orange dome targets.

The black rim (NY target) are better then orange dome.

I prefer all-orange all the time.

7 1/2's or 8's?

Michael Goines

6. tanda1

tanda1 Member

Overcast with a little bit of rain at times? Perhaps the lens color to try would have been clear.

7. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

The lenses that I was using were a light rose and a light almos no tint goldor yellow. I also use both of these shades for shooting at night. I live in the NW and we shoot more in overcast and rain than we do sunshine on this side of the state or at least that is the way that it seems. If I had been using a dark colored lense I would agree. My eyes just did not seem to see the targets well with the black rim. But that could just be my eyes.

Jim Bradbury

8. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Saturday, shot in a heavy overcast, but bright, with a newly planted cornfield as background, so the targets were against a bright grey sky. Used my Autumn Gold transitions lenses that have been good to me on overcast days. 89 at singles and shot a 20 on the first trap in caps. Felt like I was very jerky all morning, not swinging smoothly. Changed to light purple lenses, shot a 73 over the next 3 traps in caps and a personal best in doubles.

Sunday, same conditions, different club, background is a lake, then trees on other side of lake, but most breaks are against the light grey sky. Shot a 98 in singles with my light purple lenses before the rains came and cancelled the rest of the day.

I had shot so many good scores with those Autumn Transitions lenses in overcast that I just assumed they would be the right ones, they obviously weren't. For me, I learned they are great against any medium to dark background. Against a bright grey, not so good.

The first time I used the Autumn Gold Transitions, was at a club last fall against a dark tree background on a bright overcast day. Used my normal purple and shot a 83 in singles, changed to Autumn Gold for the caps and shot a 96.

If it were me, and I wasn't seeing the black rims well, it would be all about lens color.

Regards,

Chip Porter

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

The problem with the black rim targets is if you take a small chip off the rim its hard to see. If its a full color target you can see the chip.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

The problem with the black rim targets is if you take a small chip off the rim its hard to see. If its a full color target you can see the chip.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I was told the Black Rimmed Targets were .55 cents cheaper a case and that is why they bought em.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The black rimmed orange dome targets are New York targets. You were shooting them in a different state, no wonder you had a problem. HMB

13. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

HMB,

I like that idea. LOL I left Seattle and went to Portland for the honor of shooting New York targets. That sounds good to me. It was just a vision thing. I simply could not see these targets well.

Jim Bradbury

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Clear blue sky and usually the best. Trees in the background will usually make you work harder.

The late great Frank Little often stated black rimmed targets produced statistically higher scores. Anyone here good enough to argue with a Trapshooting God!!

15. Ross

Ross Active Member

I'm with Auctioneer on this one, I just got home from the Ga. state shoot where I was scorekeeper for 4 days & I'm sure I missed some chips from those black rims, in fact I did change a couple calls from lost to dead because 2 or more other shooters saw pieces from a different angle. (not 1 "shooter" themselves questioned my call)

We used to use solid orange (day) or white (night) and I still prefer them because for me they create more contrast. Ross Puls

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

I am an all orange all the time guy as well. Our club bought black rimmed targets this year, guess they will work, but I like all orange.

17. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

my club throws only the black rimmed targets any other and we lose shooters we are in n.e. ohio and they are standard all others do not seem to show up as well in the overcast by the the lake or sunshine. bob mctaggart

18. shogan191

shogan191 TS Member

My club uses mostly the black rim targets but I like the all orange. We have a lot of tree and wood line background so the black is hard to see against this.

Overcast against a bad background call for a bright yellow as far as I'm concerned.

19. b12

b12 Active Member

I never thought about it. I just shoot whatever they throw were I'm at at the time. Wild Bill

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

tree background - all orange or lime

sky background - orange or lime dome

mixed background - new york

under the lights - all white

No one target color or paint cover is ideal for all background conditions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jim mcmahon with black rim glasses on at practice