1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Barriers / Why aren't we using them ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gamba Man, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Shot Barriers / Why aren

I see these being used extensively in Europe, I was just wondering why we don't see more of them here. I would assume salvaging/selling the shot would eventually cover the cost of building a barrier and matainance.

gambaman_2008_06033.jpg

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Sure they would, but the cash outlay comes first as well as approval from zoning comissions.

Some clubs are having a hard time staying afloat, let alone come up with a million dollars just for fill dirt and earth moving equipment before they purchase the tarps.

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I take it you don't live where the wind blows! One of those would not last five minutes on most days in Amarillo. Jimmy Borum

4. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Seriously,..wind/million dollars.
    I think change is hard for some people.

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Seriously, you have no idea! Jimmy Borum

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

It would seem to make sense, but being in this sport for 41 years has shown me that the sport is very expensive and most gun clubs do not have that kind of extra cash to purchase something like that. If I owned a gun club, and I had the money, I would do it. Here is the problem, trapshooters in general, spend thousands of dollars on equipment, but have a club raise the cost of practice shooting by a quarter, and these same people B and moan.

This would be a smart long term investment, as you charge the shooters to shoot, than sell back the same shot to them at a discount, as compared to new shot. It's a win/win situation for the owner of the club and the shooter. I am sorry to say, most will never do this, as very few owners do not want to make this type of long term investment, especially in this type of economy, when shooting is down.

Steve Balistreri

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I'll bet these aren't in use in Europe because of the economic advantage. I'll bet they are required by the governments to satisfy the enviro wackos because of all that "toxic" lead on the ground. Of course, I might be wrong, so if anybody actually knows what a money making thing this is, please correct me and provide cost/return specifics.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Have you ever shot in Europe??

Look at prices for shells and targets. Only the well healed shoot there...

If we paid those prices here many would give up the sport

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Wind is a major problem. I would like to see an overhead shot of the first pic. From what I have seen, the successful shot barriers in Europe have the cover laid over a substantial berm. Betcha building a substantial berm means moving a lot of dirt and spending a lot of money, plus getting the environmental and zoning/land-use approvals.

You trapshooters might be able to use them, but skeet would take a very long and high berm to catch shot from station 8 to stations 1 and 7. I see not see a solution for sporting. 5-stand can be set-up to have to have a significantly smaller shot-drop footprint than skeet so it might work there as well. I don't know enough about FITASC to comment but have heard that the Europeans have some FITASC within berms or relative small shot-drop footprints.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

John, The answer is in Italy the cost per field for the shot curtain to cover the berm is $4,000 to $6,000 per field. The lead recovery is about 92 percent. The installation pays for itself in a very short period of time. HMB

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well in the State of Vermont they have been mandated to put up a shot curtain at the Site of their state shoot. This is a quote from the last report on this board about the cost of the short curtain.

"The cost for the curtain project has come in a lot higher than originally planned—to the tune of $145,000 (actual low bid) as opposed to our original estimate of approximately $80,000."

Seems like it could dampen a few shoot profits to install it at least. I doubt the return on the investment will take many decades to recover, if at all.

Bob Lawless

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its all a big conspiracy. The lead(shot) miners pay large sums of money to the pockets of the club owners to ditch the shot barrier plans. That don't count the large sums they pad their local politicians pockets with. Those lead miners are very smart and very rich individuals.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ivanhoe - How many fields at that Vermont club?

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

As far as I know Seven fields. That works out to approximately 20,000 a field.

Bob Lawless

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

And if some of those fields are only used a couple of days a year, it gets very expensive on a dollar/shooter basis. This presumes that a seven field barrier is substantially more expensive than a four field barrier.

16. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Grntitan:

Whom among these very smart and rich lead miners are you talking about? And can you be specific about bribing local politicians?

Dick Gries

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dick--It was a very weak attempt at humor. Those individuals that mine shot work their tales off and deserve every dime they make. I'm sure they have absolutely nothing to do with the reason the shot barriers are not used in the US of any size. I was just poking fun at the fact that some people in this World think everything is a conspiricy.

I do think the shot barriers would/could be an opportunity for someone to make some good money. If they can get the system affordable and profitable for even smaller clubs it would provide a way for people to reload cheaper and perhaps provide a small extra income for the clubs once the system is paid for.

Sorry if i disappointed you and didn't drop a bunch of names involved in the conspiricy. :)

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I know a couple of the clubs I belong to couldn't afford it. Both of these clubs have ground that slopes and drops off real fast. The area where the targets land is a good 50ft below the traphouse. That would be one heck of a size berm.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would seem the cost should be minimal with club members doing the labor and money being spent for raw materials to complete the job. For most clubs just do the main field for a start and see how it works out. HMB

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

heck, some of these clubs claim they'll go broke if they'd have to pour a few more yards of concrete for more handicapping!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.