1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot bar question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 2str8, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2str8

2str8 TS Member

I am thinking about shooting 1oz loads. The question I thought about is on a mec reloader, how close to 1 oz is the 1 oz bar? I know powder weights are less than listed, but what about the lead? Thanks for the help.

2. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

My 1 oz Mec bar consistantly drops within a 100th of an oz. If your investing money why not get the adjustable bar and can all the bushings. It saves time as well.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Try it and use your scale - you do have a scale, right? 1 oz close to enough to 483 grains.....Breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

My experience is that most MEC bars are a little light. If you really need those extra couple of pellets then ream it out a little at a time until you get exactly what you desire. Of course shot size and mfg will vary somewhat. Been there and done that and consider it an exercise in futility. If you are not a technical person and/or do not want to continually recheck shot and powder weights, I'd stay away from the adjustable bars. More trouble than their worth in my opinion. I have one of each for the MECs is anyone is interested.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I also prefer the bushing bars to an adjustable but many others have differing opinions. My experience with MEC bars is that they will drop almost right on their marked weight with chilled shot and about 1/16th of an ounce light with hard shot. Of course, since they meter by volume, the pellet count is the same either way.

Ed

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

2STR8, I have a chart that shows how many grains per oz and approx grains per powder bushing. I will gladly send a copy to you this evening when I get home from shooting if you like. If you want me to just email me and let me know. Jackie B.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

exnavy- 1/100 of an ounce consistently? I doubt that neither the shot nor the shot bar drop is that consistent. Not all shot from the same bag is the same size.

Most bars/bushings I have measured are a bit light just as Mike has observed.

Pat Ireland

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, weigh 2, 3, or 4 portions of your drop and add the totals!.....Bob Dodd

9. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

Pat maybe a 100th is a little exagerated, however I have never weighed a shot drop and not scratched my head and asked myself why I bothered, the shot at least is always very close for me. I still very much prefer the adjustable bar I can hit dead on both the shot and powder drops I want. If you take the "lash out of the threads every time you adjust them and use the locking screws when you get it where you need it, they drop just fine for me. Has anyone purchased and used the adapter that allows you to use Mec bushings in a PW?

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll confirm exnavy81s feelings with the adjustable bar and especially in the shot side where shot charges are remarkably consistent shell to shell. But, I'm reluctant to confirm the one 100th of an oz reliability; especially with re-dropped shot which is my most reliable source...Breakemall.....Bob Dodd

11. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I use the Mec adaptor or PW's, but I use it in a Pacific 366. It works fine for me.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob Dodd certainly offered a clever idea for weighing the shot charge with a limited capacity scale.

Pat Ireland

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1 oz = 437.5 grains not what is listed above. HMB

14. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

I weigh each pellet and add them up.

15. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I just went through this and I weighed seveal types and sizes of shot. I wound up using a 1&1/8 bar and I put a few small pieces of super sticky alumnium tape in the cavity to get it the size I wanted. I adjusted it for a little light on my standard 7.5 shot and it is just a tad over on the 9 shot I load. I cleaned and de-greased the cavity and was careful to make sure I had a super tight bond in the tape. I also check it all along too. I have opened up smaller bars for the same reason with a chain saw file.

I was supprised at how much different the types and sizes of shot weighed. It was a good lesson for me. My experience tells me the mec bars drop light in the 7.5 shot size range. In 9 shot they get quite close.

Hope this helps.

16. psfive

psfive Member

All MEc shot bars and powder bushings drop light (by my scale). If you are going to get into loading and want to make it easy get an adjustable shot and powder bar for each laod you want load. This game is not cheap the bars are not that costly and it takes time to adjust them for each load. Then just change the bar and get the load. Perfect every time and fast. Thats what I have done. I like it that way thats the way I do it. Just my 2 cents worth. Paul

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

2str8- You could get a scale that is a little faster and has a larger capacity, but your present scale will work fine. If you do not have any reference weights, it might be good to make a couple. Mark a penny and a dime with an ink marker and have a couple of friends weigh these on their scales and on your scale. If all the weights are the same, you have two good known weights that can be used to check your scale now and then. The cost of these reference weights would be 11 cents.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.