1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot and powder bushing or a PW 800c

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kd185, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kd185

kd185 Member

just put money down a P/W800c, should be delivered here by the beginning of next week, it comes with a 1 1/8oz bushing and 1 powder bushing for rex powder, ive seen 1 guy selling a P/W on ebay that had an adapter to take MEC bushings, anyone know anything about this or was this something someone made in there garage, is it something easily down as i have access to a full machine shop or is it not worth my time and i should just buy the P/W bushing setup, any help is greatly appreciated
    kd185

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you have MEC powder bushings and want to use them, Midway sells an adapter: <I>http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=633400</I>

If you have access to a lathe, P-W powder bushings are 1" tall and .870" in diameter. Bore an aluminum slug that size to accept MEC bushings and you're set. If you decide to try a shot bushing, remember that they're steel.

Otherwise, you can use Hornady powder bushings sold by Gamaliel Shooting Supply. They come in a wider variety of sizes than P-W and their part number is their inside diameter. $5 each my last purchase...$1 cheaper than P-W parts.

Here's a link to a chart of the decimal measurements for the I.D. of P-W powder/shot bushings: <I>http://www.swsupply.com/downloads/BushingDimensions2010Rev1.2.pdf</I>. If you check Gamaliel's web site for the Hornady powder bushings you'll find sizes in between if you want them.

Powder companies can supply the P-W bushing charts for their powder. This is a link to the Hodgdon chart: <I>http://www.hodgdon.com/pw.html</I>

MK

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Mec adapters are easily had-most PW dealers now sell them. I got a couple from Jim's ear and eye, a PW dealer who travels to most larger shoots. Back then they were 5 bucks each. Most likely a little more now. Not sure if its worth the trouble making them for that price. I use all mec bushing in my PW as they have a broader coverage for the in between sizes you find you need most.....but if you have a full service shop you can make all your own shot and powder bushings, not that hard to do-if you have the time. Enjoy the new loader !!!!!

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click my website URL above and download the PW bushing chart. I also show their ID's as well, so you can dial-in a load.

Also, be aware that the Mec adapter will NOT throw the same charge in the P/W. Mec bushings are shorter in height, and in the adapter it permits a heavier powder dump, so you will have to work up a load.

With regard to shot bushings, I'm not so sure it's important to use a steel shot bushing. Spolar ships their reloaders with Hornady aluminum shot bushings, and I use aluminum ones I make here at the shop out of aluminum. I fail to see any differences in reloads.

WW

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's good to know those details, Whiz!

MK

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have trouble believing this!

You spend $850 for an 800+ and now you worry about Mickey Mousing powder bushings to save $3 by buying a MEC bushing?

7. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I hear ya Ahab. It's kinda like like complaining how promo ammo steel heads are sticking in the chamber of a $10k gun! .....Rick

8. setool

setool Member

Buy ANY custom bushing from Whiz... He will make any combo's you request !!

Mark Schneider

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ahab,

If you load other guages why spend over $100 to buy a variety of PW bushings if the MEC bushings you have will work?

One other advantage of using the MEC bushing is they extract easier than the PW bushings.

I use both types depending on how close I want my powder drops to the published data.

And I even used the lowly MEC bushings on my Spolar. How is that for a travesty! LOL

Don Verna

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Bushings in the Ponsness/Warren loader must seal on the top side AND the BOTTOM side! Otherwise powder will leak between the bottom of the bushing and the shut off plate and will cause the shut off plate to lock up so you cannot shut it off or drain the reservoir!

Use only P/W or Hornady bushings in your P/W loader. The Hornady bushings seem to be better quality and they are available in .003" increments.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bushing data for rex powder

forum machining your own shot bushing