1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot @ $52.99 at....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Bass Pro in Altoona Ia. for Lawrence Magnum and $49.99 for Lawrence Chilled. I did notice that the shelve was still full like no one was buying it.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

That's pretty typical of both BP and Cabelas...$10-$15 higher than gun shops.

MK

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

It is funny at many of those "outdoor" department stores. They price gun related things way over the top, and when they do not sell, they start eliminating the gun rated selections to make room for over priced sweat shirts and trendy jackets. In a pinch I have bought a couple hundred primers from Gander Mountain, but they want the same over price/100 for a box or even a sleeve (if they have a sleeve in stock). I expect to pay top price for a small amount, but I need a fair price for a full quantity.

4. cle

cle Member

If you think the big box "Outdoor Sports" retailers give a ripping c..p about hunters, shooters or even fishermen you are sadly deluded. And, if you believe their phoney baloney about "dedication" to the outdoors and those who "live there" you don't need an IQ test, just check your shoe size.

The money is made off $10 hats, $30 sweatshirts, $50 long underwear, $90 sports shoes and $200 camo parkas & bibs from China. The guns & ammo are just bail and you're being "reeled in" when you walk all the way through the store....to the very back......and past all the Chinese junk.......to look at the guns, the bows or the rods.

Talk's cheap, that's why they have so much of it. Good merchandise that knowlegable outdoorsmen and women want and need is a different matter.

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

You did this all to your selves my friends when you went for the price and not help out the little gunshops we had years ago. It may not sounded like much when you could save 1.00$ on a box of shells but it was enough to wipe out good ole home town sporting business. WildBill

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve only been in 1 store , a Bass Pro Shop in Missori on my way to Tulsa a few years ago . Just a walk thru and a tour thru the wildlife displays which was quite impressive but to buy something at those prices , I would have to have my head examined . It would be very easy to show that most of us aren`t going to put up with their price gouging , walk in empty handed and walk out just the same but mention to see the manager first and tell him what you think of their prices . If everyone would do that and that day`s receipts would show we all mean business . Cabelas is an hr from my house to the one in PA and I can tell you right now I don`t plan on making that trip or even a side trip on my way out thru PA . You can complain all you want but an empty parking lot tells a bigger story .

7. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Cabellas will occasionally have decent deals, but I absolutely hate BPS, not even for their prices (which are rediculous) but they never carry anything of quality. Their entire store is full of Chinese clothing and garbage "Redhead" gear. Online stores are about the only way to go anymore.

8. cle

cle Member

And oh, BTW............. those impressive taxidermy displays in Cabela's stores...... in most, if not all, their stores they get a "tax adjustment" based on operating a "MUSEUM."

The locals are making up the difference with their property taxes. Enjoy.......

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I liked Sportsmen's Warehouse before they left in their downsizing.

They had good quantity discounts, and the products I like to use.

Thanks a lot, bankers.

HM

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Gander MT near me had OLD bags of shot for 49.00 a bag. The lettering and numbers are fadded and the shot size had to be marked back on the bag. In other words the bags look like they were forgotten in the back and brought out. They most likely have just a few bucks in each bag but now want to get 49.00 per bag. Greed

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

That $52.99 price would include their usual mark-up. Gives you an idea how much you would overpay for the rest of the merchandise in the store.

How else do you think they pay for those fantastic displays?

12. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I've heard a rumor that Gamaliel is considering raising their price to close to that figure, but right now it's still listed online at 39.95 for Lawrence Magnum...

TNCoach

13. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I bought a bag here in Michigan yesterday at Guns Galore for $41.00. Yikes!

Mike

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I am loading put as many shells as I can for the price I bought recently and have about 20 cases on hand and when it gets to $50 per bag , my shooting days will be over . I can have just as much fun fishing and crabbing with my grandkids and for a cheaper price .

15. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

My local BiMart here in Oregon just raised their price of Westcoast shot from $39.99 to $44.99. Using my current costs for the other components, that would be $4.90 a box. I'm only reloading with reclaimed shot now, but I don't shoot registered, just for fun. My cost with reclaim is $2.77 a box using a 7/8 oz load. That is more fun.

I just found that my local golf course has a card that I can buy that gives unlimited range balls on their driving range for a full year for $100. I have gotten the golf clubs back out, and can spend a few hours on the range for next to nothing. Hitting golf balls makes shooting targets seem easy. :) Mark

16. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Trap shooting, for the most part, has become cost prohibitive for me and several others I know. I used to shoot 4-5 practice rounds a week and an Oakley, but those days are over.

In fact, people at my club generally only shoot a round or two and leave, its not like to good ole days when Trap shooting was an evening event where people shot and BSed most of the evening... My days of trap shooting are on hold until/if prices come down.

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The sad thing about Cabela's & Bass Pro is the prices they overcharge and most of their help makes minimum wage! Clyde

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If your willing to pay those high prices at the big box stores then find a small gunshop if possible and purchase form the little guy. From what I have seen those big guys behind the counter don't have much knowledge about their job anyway. Wild Bill

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Buddy called this morning needing a case of AA Super Handicap shells. I only had Remington Nitros'@ $77/case. Since he only shoots AA's he passed and stopped at Cabellas. AA's were $98/case. I'm in the wrong business!!

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

This is why I only load for the 28 ga. anymore. Not worth rolling your own 12s or 20s anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.