1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot 150 straight at Skeet today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd give myself a pat on the back. Missed the 157th skeet target to end up with 174/175. Blaser F3 choked IC/IC shooting Federal Game loads. JW

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Heck, I broke 73/75 with a .410 one day. No, I'm not a Skeeter!!

3. brdslayr

Well I guess if you had broken two more targets on your 75 then you would be halfway there to the 150 straight. Whats your point?

4. oleolliedawg

The point is using a 12 GA in Skeet is regarded as cheatin"!!

5. fivestraight

fivestraight Member

It is not cheatin using 12 ga in the 12 ga event.

Thats why there are 4 gauges shot in skeet. 12,20,28 and 410. 100 birds in each gauge in most tournaments. 100 straight in any gauge is good shooting and will get you in the shootoff, if not winning it outright.

6. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Great job JW. No matter what gun great job. Corey

7. oleolliedawg

fivestraight, you should know most top skeet shooters shoot 20 GA in 12 GA events. I'm not sayin' 150 straight in Skeet with a 12 GA is bad. I'm just sayin' if you do that with the .410 you've got my ear. Very humbling that little gauge can be!!

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"Most" shooters do NOT use the 20 in 12 events. This started because of the necessity of cleaning the gun after shooting 12 guage, so you could install tubes properly.

MANY registered shooters have chosen to use 1100's or Beretta autos in the 12 and doubles events.

With small guage hulls being scarce, and 12 guage availble in plenty, for free if you get the Gun Clubs or Top guns, 12 auto is a good way to go.

If you want a 20 guage load use 7/8 in the 12.

My guess would be about 50-50 in this case.

HM

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Damn it dawg, now you pissed on the guys pant leg and you should apologize!

10. oleolliedawg

halfmile, are you telling us that shooting Skeet with a 12 GA and 1 1/8oz. of shot is especially challenging? You might want to ask Wayne Mayes. Personally, I think it's boring and hard to keep ones attention after the first 50.

Now, the .410 makes the game a bit tougher and sometime baffling to us non-skeeters. The 28 GA was created by God as the most efficient GA for Skeet.

As far as empties, shoot a case of new ones and load those cases until total destruction occurs-like every skeeter. Just don't offer up a .25 bet for high round shooter. You'll end up shooting alone. Skeeters tend to be tight with a buck.

Can you explain the difference between having to clean the 12 GA barrels prior to installing 20, 28 or .410 GA tubes-I'm lost!!

11. staynumz

staynumz Member

I think what he is getting at is, if you shoot the 12ga you then have to(or should) to clean the barrel before you put the tubes back in. That can be a problem especially during shoot offs.
    And damn, you have never missed a skeet target with the 12ga? That is some pretty good shootin!

12. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

Using a 20 gauge for the 12 gauge event in skeet had nothing to do with cleaning the gun. The reason is because by using the 20 gauge tubes in the o/u's for the 12 gauge event you haven't changed the weight and balance of the gun like you do when you remove the tube completely.......if you shoot tubes for 410, 28, and 20 then remove the tubes for the 12 gauge it feels and swings differently.

Note: Skeeters would never spell gauge "guage".

13. oleolliedawg

Shootoffs in a 12 GA Skeet event-I can't believe it. Of course I've missed Skeet targets with a 12 GA. I never professed to be a skeeter. If you're gonna shoot tubes in any small gauge event you need to clean the 12 GA barrels before insertion. Wooly mops aren't that expensive.

AA trap loads cost the same for 12's or 20's. No issue at all there for availability of empties nor a reduction in scoring for top skeet shooters. Of course, most skeeters are as competitive in skeet as trapshooters have a hope of beating Leo.

And JayLC nailed this one perfectly-the real reason why skeeters shoot tubes!!

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nice shooting.

15. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Good job Jim!

Bill

16. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

JW....Great shooting! Who has determined that shooting a 12ga in skeet as "cheatin"? Lots of folks will tell you how good they are with a .410 in skeet, very few can live up to those claims. How many times have you seen oleolliedawg on the .410 winners podium at a major skeet shoot("skeeter" or not)? Anyone consistantly that good with a .410 should be absolutely incredible with the 12, 20, and the 28. And yes you most definately should clean your 12ga barrels prior to incerting the subgauge tubes. Unless you want to run the risk of damaging your tubes.
    And 1 more thing, heres a question you never hear on a skeet field from the shooter to the rest of the squad; "did you guys see a chip?"
    Again, Great shooting, those scores will at the very least get you to a shootoff @ any event.
    Regards, Joe

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Nice Shooting there JW. Sounds like you missed the High 2 in the third box on your doubles try in the second 100. Did you win the shoot-off in the morning??? Break-em all. Jeff

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Most times at the end of championship shoot-offs at major 12 ga. skeet events, there are about the same number of 20 ga. shooters as at a trap shoot-off. IMHO Ron

19. brdslayr

No shoot off, it was just for fun. A new long run record for me. Longest prior was with my 20 gauge and I think it was 125. I've never shot in a registered skeet tournament. John

20. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

You may want to consider shooting registered if you are capable of that type of shooting consistantly! That is an excellent score regardless of how many pellets you send down the barrel.

By the way, is it spelled guage or gauge? I can never remember so I just abreviate it 'Ga.' Dont know if that makes me a Skeet Shooter or a Trap Shooter or just stooopid enough not to care that much about my spelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

150 straight skeet shooting