1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shorter Posts for Adjustable Comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

I recently purchased a used Browning XT for my to shoot. The stock was already cut for reduced length and the factory Browning comb hardware had been replaced. I have not checked to see who made the comb hardware, I keep forgetting to. But the posts are slightly too tall. The comb is bottoming out on the posts with about 1/4" of gap still between the wood. The gun is shooting a little high for her and I need to lower the comb a little to fix it. Who/where carries posts of different heights? I know I've seen similar threads on here before, but my seachfu had failed me today.

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Graco-Corp has posts of different heights for their own hardware. You will need to check your current hardware to see if Graco's posts will work. Bob

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Why not just grind the posts down?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find a friend with a lathe and have him take a 1/4 inch off. HMB

5. arend003

arend003 Member

assuming you want to save those posts for later use you can take them to the hardware store and match the threads, but a pair of bolts in that size and then cut them to the length you want . Mine were a 5/16 thread fine thread and that is all I did .. works great.
    Tom

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Grinding a 1/4 inch off takes time and the posts will get really hot. A lathe is very good if the posts will come out of the wood. A hack saw works fast and can do a neat job. Or, depending on what type of hardware is on the stock, it might be possible to drill the hole in the wood deeper.

Pat Ireland

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Post a picture on here with the comb removed and I'm sure one of us can identify it for you.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

Thanks for suggesting cutting them off. I don't know why I didn't think of that. 5 minutes with a Dremel and file and we're in good shape.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.