1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shortening XT Length of pull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shootrman, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

The new Browning XT has a screw at the end of the butt pad to tighten the adj. comb which leaves the problem of shortening the legth of pull. Any one have any ideas on how to get around this problem. I am considering drilling the holes in the side of the stock to tighten the comb in the conventional way and go from there. Does anyone have any recommendations of a professional that is reasonable in price.

2. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

The screw you are referring to is actually a female hex nut that is screwed onto the end of a piece of rod. The hex nut can be unscrewed, the rod cut, the end of the rod rethreaded and the hex nut screwed back on.

If you want a better explanation email me with your number and I will give you a call and answer any questions you have.

3. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

The Easy Way. Remove comb rod. Cut stock to length. Re-attatch rod. Use black marker to mark rod now sticking out of hole. Put mark where rod joins wood. Remove rod. Cut rod at mark using hacksaw with bi-metal blade. Flatten on sander. Use dremel tool cutter to create slot across face of rod. Use flathead screwdriver to re-attach. Takes 5-min with these tools. Or send it to any one of us stock guys on this site and we will fix it for you. Todd Nelson

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Todd;

Pardon my ignorance but what is a bi-metal blade and why do your recommend using one?

Rollin

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bi metal works on different types of metal.

6. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

BI-METAL BLADE IS A HIGHER GRADE OF STEEL-PROBABLY A ALLOY OR 2 TYPES BONDED.
    ALL THE MANUFACTURERS MAKE THESE HIGHER END HACK SAW BLADES IE. NICHOLSON, RIGID, AND LENOX. MOST CONTRACTORS WILL REQUEST BI-METAL FOR THEIR PORTA-BANDS-LAST ABOUT 4 TIMES LONGER-RICK ZINO

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Todd, What does one charge to do this type of work?

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

My stock guy did exactly what Todd, the Country Gentleman did when we had to put a shorter recoil pad on my XT. I had to remember to put a flathead screwdriver in my gun tool kit!

9. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Tom Larkin cut one down for my wife and did an excellent job. I'd call Tom.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

shooterman, why don't you ask the dealer where you purchased it from who he recommends. Maybe he knows someone local, which would avoid costly shipping charges. After all, customer service shouldn't end with the sale!!

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

oleolliedawg, I did and he recommended HOLTZ. And a very good choice it was. And again as always you were right, customer service shouldn't end with the sale and again it hasn't. That's one reason I have shopped at Meyer's Gun Shop for a decade or more and will continue to do so. John is a great man, knows his stuff and his game.....Did I mention he also was an awesome trap and sporting clays shot?

12. oleolliedawg

Tell him to get the mans' name right-it's Holzman. Smart, great shooters usually admit when they need a release trigger to overcome the dreaded flinch.

Another unnecessary expense that could have been avoided with sound advice. The cost of that gun keeps going up.

That 17/25 he broke last week must belie his tremendous talent!!

13. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Been busy sorry. Bi-metal cuts more stuff and lasts longer. The comb bolt in the browning is very hard and will trash a standard blade in two strokes. Best way to cut them is with a dremel cut-off wheel. then use the same wheel to cut slot across the face of the bolt. For a recoil pad job I will charge 80.00.Add 20.00 to cut and reseal stock. Would charge 10.00 to cut and reface the bolt on an xt. The 80.00 includes a new pad. Todd Nelson

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Country gentleman....Thank you very much for your info. Actually I have decided to go to a local man with your last name (Don Nelson) your talent must run in the name..heeheee
    Oleolliedawg.......I apologize for HOLTZ...my mistake, I thought you would be smart enough to figure out the rest. As far as the 17/25 that he broke last week or for that matter any other week....I'm not gonna mention some of your scores I have seen in the past. Grow up

15. oleolliedawg

Shooterman, try again. I talked to Nellie yesterday and he ain't touching it.

Beware of false claims like buying it right from the factory as they tend to bite you in the arse.

And the cash register goes kaching-kaching.

Then tell us more about those two 69's in Handicap at a small shoot this year!!

16. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Shooterman, try again. I talked to Nellie yesterday and he ain't touching it.
    GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT (FALSE CLAIMS)
    Beware of false claims like buying it right from the factory as they tend to bite you in the arse. (PROOF READING HELPS WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT)

And the cash register goes kaching-kaching. (IT"S MY MONEY)

Then tell us more about those two 69's in Handicap at a small shoot this year!! (I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE THE SHOOTER YOU THINK I AM OR THE SHOOTER YOU ARE.I'M NOT DENYING THE 69'S BUT MAYBE YOU FORGOT0 THE 40 AT NORTH ENDS ON 9/2/07)

I'M DONE PLAYING YOUR CHILDISH GAME ...........GROW UP

17. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've been reading this post an I have noticed that the Ollie dawg acts like a child. I don't get my way so he gets his panties in a bunch. I bet he got beat up alot as a kid. Stay with the post..has nothing to do with scores. The man did state at first it was ordered from the factory and then said other wise. Give it a break all ready. And who cares who does the guys gun. I second it
    GROW UP

18. Lost-a-pair

Lost-a-pair TS Member

Anyone who frequents this site will know that this Oleolliedawg talks stupid. He's a MOROON. No sense even giving him the time of day. He is Clueless about anything he talks about. I third the vote....GROW-Up

19. LearPilot

LearPilot TS Member

This Dawg got my ignorance award..Grow up Dawg or you'll always stay on the porch..John Polkovich

20. oleolliedawg

Lost a pair, it's MORON. Correct spelling is appropriate.

Shooterman, when I shoot a lousy score I'm never noted for the target management game and I don't bail out when someone buys me in a Calcutta. I miss-it's me.

Nellie suggested I take you for a ride to see Uncle Carl and resolve your issue. He's done plenty.

John, you know not of what your speaking so don't get into the game!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.