1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shortage of components?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ken a, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

Have any of you noticed a shortage of reloading components at your local sport supply stores? I recently went to Sports whse(n.Calif) looking for reloading supplies and noticed they were very low or out of both rifle,pistol and shotgun components. The clerk told me it is mainly because there is such a run on components, possibly customers are worried about the new admistration.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

This is similar breaking news to "man landed on moon". Where in the world have you been, Ken?

Not only the big box stores like Sportsmens Warehouse but also gun shows and big distributors. Virtually no one has Federal small pistol primers for example. As far as black rifle parts, companies are either out or operating on a month or more backlog. You are seeing the effects of the Obama victory and the resultant fear of future taxing/restriction/outlawing of components and firearms. This has been a real windfall for dealers but the old saying "make hay while the sun shines" is probably applicable.

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Ordered AR-15 (Stoner) 30 round magazines for $9.99 each from Midway end of November which were listed in the December, 2008 ad. They were already out and subsequently backordered. Received just before Christmas, but a friend of mine ordered a week after I had and anticipated delivery mid, January. When he called Midway and inquired about the delivery he also ask how many did the sell -- greater than 50k and the guy said close to it. Everyone remembers when the Assault Rifle Ban was on, these 30 rounders went for over $35.00 so everybody is anticipating another ban which may be permanent, so buy, buy, buy. Darrell

4. ken a

ken a Member

BT, I guess you are right and haven't shopped for powder or primers for a while because of health problems and just getting back to shooting. It's hard to believe that everything gone off the shelves.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Its everything related to guns. I was a wally world and guy bought all the 12 and 20 ga shells and was tell his wife they needed to come back next and get more before the 20th. So its a real thing. There is talk that powder is going to be treated like black is now, only can have so much at a time. That may not matter to you guys in the big citys. It will big problem for alot of us.

6. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

As far as Sportsmans Whse, also a rumor floating in their stores that they are being bought out this month so the cupboards are running bare prior to the sale? Anyway the clerk at the local store indicated supplies should be better stocked later this month.

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

So the answer is stock up till you run out and let the adminstration have their way. Or is that the american way. I don't know what the answer is but just letting the politations having their way is not the way of the voters. And don't expect the NRA beable to do it all for you. B12

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

As far as Sportsmen's warehouse goes, I watched my Prairie dog bullets inventory rise and fall, restocked about 3 times in December.

Either they don't keep enough in, or they are going as fast as they put them out.

HM

9. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Any one that things this as any to do with the new admistration is saddly mistaken, this country is in a depression, all stores are lowering thier inventory, most of the orders were placed a long time time before the elections, Most stores and supplies are not ordering lead or shells because they know the price of lead is down almost 50 cents a pound. We should be buying $39.00 dollar trap shells by May! Shot could break $20 dollars per bag!

I recommend, buy it as you need it...............

10. 5spd

5spd TS Member

The sportsmans warehouse's are ALWAYS out of stock in the reloading dept. Its not due to a "RUN" its due to the fact they were bought out and are having buying issues and re-alignment/credit problems in all of their stores. The sales guys have no idea whats going on with the company they work for.

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

We are not in a depression, that is nonsense. Go back and look at the conditions during the Great Depression. We are not even close at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.