1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Short Yardage For Sissy Sandbaggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Claymuncher, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I don't really think that, I just miss the handicap discussion so I thought I would go fishing.

But anyhow, are the reductions helping you with your average and winnings and if you took them how far up would you go? To the 18?

CM

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Went from the 20 to the 18, about 4 shoots later was back at the 20 1/2, won the short yardage prizes with a 99 and a 96, turned down the latest reduction, I like it where I am now.

3. Drake20

Drake20 Member

Took my reduction from the 27yd to the 25 yd last year. Took a few months to get back to the 27, but ended up shooting 100 straight from the 26.5 yd line. Moving forward 2 yds taught me a lot. Confidence can be your best friend if you have it. That's one thing my reduction gave me! Id take it again if I deserve it!
    CS

4. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Gary-use better bait if your trolling!!Perry

5. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Perry : See ya on Sunday if it is not "to" cold. I was never one to hold back so I thought I would try the direct approach. I have been accused of trolling before when I really was not so I stayed with my no crap attitude to see what would happen. Probably a lot figured they would not touch that fish with a ten foot pole but I thought it was a good subject to find out how everyone that took a reduction is fairing.

What I was really wondering is how far up would they go if given the chance.

Barry K : No surprise on that one.

Drake20 : Way to go, a straight from their is something to be proud of.

BigM : At least buy a new gun!

CM

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Took 5 yards in 10 months... not sure what to do..

new gun? new shells?

play all the options?

7. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

I make extra cash helping load the house since I'm in there anyway.

8. jimsw

jimsw Member

A couple of quotes from 2 guys who don't know much about trapshooting:

Frank Little "Take everything they give you, move forward"

Kaye Oyhe "Move forward and be competitive"

A lot depends on how you got the yardage. I shot on a squad at the Golden West Grand one year with 2 guys who were on the 27. They both missed all the targets on 2 stations. I asked how the devil did you guys get to the 27? They laughed and said "shot small shoots and got punched with lousy scores". Believe me that is not the way to compete.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

We should take a lesson from sporting clays. If there are three shooters in your class and you beat the other two you get a punch.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

And don't forget the sandbaggers delight, the Big 50. HMB

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I got a half yard with an 86 at one small shoot, don't think that will happen again with the new min. shooter requirements.

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

They put me at the 19. I still can't win....I am the worst handicap shooter ever!!!! I refused another reduction. Some pride left....very little...but some.
    Martinpicker

13. xtxt

xtxt Active Member

Gary

When you go fishing you end up smelling like fish. LOL

Don S.

14. Straight50

Straight50 Member

HMB, why is a BIG 50 event more a sandbaggers delight? Don't you have to have a perfect score to gain yardage?

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

You gotta start using some lead core line, thats where all the big ones lie....

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Unfortunately many shhoters do have this view of taking reductions - that it is a less than manly way to play the game and/or it is for sandbaggers.

But I also see a whole bunch of guys on the 27 that have absolutly no chance of breaking a good score. When you ask them why they don't take a reduction the reply is usually that they intend to stay on the back line and just learn to shoot from there. Clearly an ego thing.

I took a 2 yard reduction to the 25 last season and it made a huge difference in my shooting. This helped build real confidence and I was able to win the mid yardage group at the state PITA shoot. My reward for this was more yardage which isn't exactly working out.

So call me a sissy or sandbagger but I am convinced the 27 yard line isn't for everyone. Getting there is real easy but being competitive at that distance is far more difficult and not really possible for everyone.

17. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Why does it clearly have to be an "Ego" thing. Maybe shooters find it satisfying and even fun to shoot long, unlike long singles. If you feel you should move up that is fine but I do not think it is mostly ego that keeps a shooter on the 27. I have no thought of having to stay on the 27 or my macho will be crimped, it is simply fun to shoot long.

If 6 foot makes that big a difference in your confidence that is great, but really how much can six foot make in your timing, or how you see the bird come out of the house?

CM

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Claymuncher,

You wouldn't think the difference between 25 and 27 yards would be significant but it is and in my case the big difference is how well I see the target. If I am seeing whole targets with deffinition I will break very good scores - if it is more like a streak with a dot at the top then I don't fare so well. This distance at where that transition occurs is different for everyone but as you age that distance gets shorter.

As far as shooting from the 27 and never turning in a competitive score - how can that be fun. The fun or 'carrot' here is shooting from where the the good shooters shoot as in the ego gets a reward from the sense of one being a good shooter by association even if the scores say otherwise.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Why does it clearly have to be an "Ego" thing. Maybe shooters find it satisfying and even fun to shoot long"

Well let ask a question just to see if maybe some of the EGO thing might become more clear for you. Do you think that this type of statement is makes shooters feel like reductions aren't the best things for his ego.

"Short Yardage For Sissy Sandbaggers"

Do you suppose everyone wants to be thought of in that manner. Maybe you should think before you speak!!!!!!!! I would ask you if what you thought about that but it has become obvious that you don't think. That statement sure doesn't do much for those that are thinking about taking a reduction!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Theoretically, once you have achieved a goal you should make your next goal harder to achieve ... The ATA handed out reductions like they got them at a garage sale and the majority of shooters took them thinking they are now in the running to compete with the top shelf shooters in this sport ... Common sense and logic will tell you thats not the case, you might get lucky once in awhile but you are only fooling yourself in thinking your odds have increased considerably ... If a shooter goes to the Grand or most of the bigger shoots and breaks a 98 that means he or she can be and usually will be beat by one or two targets, though on rare occasion it might get you into a shoot off and you might by chance win it ... Where you are standing when or if this happens does not matter to the Top shooters because they are not there to play, they are there to collect their paycheck and in most cases make out rather well because they play the money which most shooters do not any more ... Standing at the 27 yard line is nothing Macho or an ego builder, its a place to shoot from and was earned at one time if only one time, thats the way it goes ... I got this little pin that tells me where to stand and thats all that matters to me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.