1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Short yardage epidemic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jason Hassler, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Since the 2 yard reductions went out I've noticed a huge amount of short yardage shooters. Just went to a shoot this weekend and the longest yardage there was 20.5 yards so I couldn't even squad unless I wanted to shoot by myself. I'm not trashing the club or anyone short yardage and I don't blame anyone for taking the reduction that was offered but this is crazy.

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

While I think the intent was good, it did get lop sided. For example prior to the 2 yd. reduction most shooters were listed as 20 yd. shooters. Well unless I'm wrong, that makes most shooters at the 18 now. There isn't enough difference in those two yards to make a true handicap. It is hard to compete with someone on that short of a yardage. Personally I think a 1 yd. reduction would have been plenty, but it is what it is!

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Personally I think the minimum yardage should be the 20. The 18 is rediculous, it is not handicap it is "super 16's". Any reductions should not have gone beyond the 20.

Don

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There were a bunch of 18 - 19 yarders on the leader board at the Ohio State Shoot! I wonder how many of them passed on previous shoots to save their yardage for that shoot?

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Better shooters will be back to a longer yardage soon. Hacks like me may wind up at 14 yards! And we still couldn't win! Martinpicker

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"There isn't enough difference in those two yards to make a true handicap. It is hard to compete with someone on that short of a yardage."

I find these statements very interesting. Please explain how many 18-20 yard shooters have a 90 plus handicap average. Also how many 27 yard shooters have a 90 plus handicap average.

Up until this year the 27 yard shooters have at almost all major shoots dominated the handicap yardage payouts. Yet it is stated here that it is hard to compete against short yardage shooters.

I say the numbers don't support that theory at all. Just what the numbers say!!!

Bob Lawless

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I propose the numbers support BIGDONs statement.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

We should all hope they do another reduction next year! It spices up the comments and the sport and so energizes the interest in trapshooting. It is a harmless but good change...witness more shooters competing. Regards, Ed

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sure it works but also contributes to the demise of small clubs. Just a bandaid on a tumor!!

10. Setterman

Handicap winners at the Ohio State Shoot:

Ryan Minyo, 18.5 yards, score 99, previous average 86

Harrison Warren, 18.5 yards, score 98, previous average 88.6

Mike Dehabey, 27 yards, score 99, previous average 91.76

David Crossman, 20 yards, score 100, previous average 90.22

Craig Denlinger, 20.5 yards, score 98, previous average 88

Tell me the 2 yards doesn't make a difference. All the info is on RJ Stuart and the ATA website. Tank Lundsford actually was high on the last handicap with a 99, but he was a non-resdient. The rest were all high, tied for high, and residents.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Keep those 2 yard reductions flowing and more than a few "big dogs" will be looking for factory work!!

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The dawg man has agood point. There are many changes the ATA has made that are making it more and more difficult for the smaller clubs to attract people to their regular shoots.

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

My point was there isn't enough difference between the 16 yd line and the 18 yd line to make for a true handicap. The minimum of 19 and 20 seemed to work well enough. As you can see from the scores posted,the "ultra short" yd shooters were breaking score well above their average. Putting the majority of ATA shooters at very short yardage won't fix the sandbagger problem either. I'm not saying the reduction was altogether bad but dropping most shooters to the 18 was bit much IMO.

14. Setterman

Imagine a handicap shooter that is hanging on to his yardage by his toenails with a 92 average... and didn't get a reduction!

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Their called collateral damage..

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

They should have considered the 16 yard averages also when handing out the reduction. Someone with a 94 or 95% average should have been passed over regardless of handicap yardage.

Just my personal opinion

Bill

17. ivanhoe

"Imagine a handicap shooter that is hanging on to his yardage by his toenails with a 92 average..."

I would rather see you name a handicap shooter hanging on to his yardage with his toenails. If you are short yardage and have a 92 average you are in no danger of loosing it as the average is well above the break point.

If you have a 92 average will need to shoot consistent low nineties scores to stay there or face at least one punch. So who do you know that fits that description????

Bob Lawless

18. Setterman

ME! At long yardage, it's worse yet. You shoot against the big dogs AND have to beat the 2 yard reductioneers! How many handicap shooters crank out at least one 96 - 99 in a year? Few, regardless of the yardage.

19. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Wait a minute---If memory serves, everybody wanted the 'Big Dogs" to stop winning everything. Now everybody wants the short yardage shooters now to win. What am I missing.

AND a time or two above posters say that short yardage shooting is hurting new memberships at clubs, adding to their demise. I may agree after you explain how.Not arguring, just wondering what the logic is.

Respectfully posted
    Jim

20. ivanhoe

Setterman all the more reason to support moving the back fence back. A move that you don't seem to support. Looks like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Besides if you are at 27 and have a 92 average you don't qualify for a reduction. So it looks like there is only one way you can go!!!

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.