1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Short rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK , you got me thinking, I want to try a short rib on my TM1 where do I start?
    Hight. lenght? etc. I want to pick my head up but can you go to far?
    Bead placement? ETC. What other advice have you. I can adjust my comb to any hight. Got my Bulsa wood and ready to go. Thanks Butch H

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Butch, I started with about 10" long a couple of years ago and found it too short IMO. Good luck and enjoy.

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Perazzi's short rib is 1.5" Tall and 14.25" long. Hope this helps. Garrett

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I put one on my doubles gun, three inches long, works great. HMB

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

ClaySmoke, 1.5" high as measured from where?

6. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Perazzi makes the Short Rib in several configurations. The MX 2008 is 1.5" over top barrel and is the tallest available. The MX 2005 is 1.1" over the top barrel and the RS model is .625 lower. The MX 10 that Bonilla's had built runs about 1/2" tall. Length is dependent on barrel length. My MX 2005 SR unsingle is 14.5" from ramp to muzzle, 16" to pivot. The 31-1/2" O/U rib is about 1" shorter.

Something to ponder. Doug

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have a rib tracing off Perazzi's MX-8 SR which measures 1-3/8" X 14". The Perazzi rib is attached by two fixtures mounted on the barrel,a hinge pin at the rear and notched post at the front to allow for adjustment. I'm not certain the total height from the top of the barrel to the top of the rib when the rib is parallel to the barrel. An 1-1/2" total height sounds about right as Garrett stated.

The rib we made from the Perazzi tracing ended being higher because we attached it to to a flat ribberd barrel with pivot clamps making the total height just under 1-3/4".

14" length puts the rear of the rib just about where the mid bead is placed and seems to be a good length for most people. Height gets more subjective as body type, neck length, head structure and gun mount all play a part in what height works best for you. Making Balsa mock ups of different hieghts will help determine what's optimum height for you.

Surfer

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Can one if you guys please post a picture of the tracing of the Perazzi Short Rib. I'd be curious to try it with some balsa mock-ups and see how it works. Thanks

9. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

vpr80, measured from the top of the barrel. Garrett

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

vpr80,

go to Google and search for "Perazzi Short Rib"

11. dead on 4

[​IMG]
    This is a pricture of the tracing made from Perazzi's MX-8 SR and the rib we machined from this tracing. As you can see, the finnished product ended up higher overall because of the existing rib.

Surfer

12. dead on 4

This is an example of a simple way to make and mount a higher rib on your gun. It consists of a T extrusion with welded taps to add height and a pair of machined clamps. This system was pioneered by Jerrie white out of Fort Collins
    thirty five years ago when he one of if not the first to make add on ribs.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx 2008 short rib

perazzi short rib

perazzi shotgun mx-2008 sr trap