1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

short rib & half rib. for sporting clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sporting20gauge, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporting20gauge

sporting20gauge Banned User Banned

Can any shed some light. Thank you

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

FUGETABOUTIT

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Richard Faulds of UK is one of the top sporting clays shooters in the world
    AND one of the top double trap shooters as well. He has recently gone to
    the half rib for double trap, as have many shooters. He does not use one
    for sporting clays. If they were any good for anything but double trap, I'm sure he would have. Just because they work for one sport doesn't mean they'll work for another. I don't see any of the top shooters using them for sporting clays, skeet, or American trap. Don't you think there's a reason for that?

4. sporting20gauge

sporting20gauge Banned User Banned

Sleep. With the fishes.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I believe we'll see less of the short/high ribs in the very near future when ISSF changes the rules for doubles trap. Right now, you get a known pair (like ATA), and you can spot shoot the first target (which these ribs aid), then go after the 2nd one. Under the post-Olympic rules, you're pair will be 2 targets thrown off any combination of 3 traps, so spot shooting will be impossible unless you guess lucky on your first target.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Ian, are they going to put the 'instant up to 1sec' delay back in?

Assuming stock fit, I don't see any difference between a short rib and a full-length high-rib on a top-single.

Bob

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Bob- I haven't seen or read that anywhere.

I believe the big thing w/ the short rib is that it allows greater visibility around the gun on certain presentations.

At least one ISSF shooter, and early short rib adopter, Hakan Dahlby of Sweden, has recently gone back to a full length rib.

I am noticing the Evocomp stocks are quickly growing in popularity in both skeet and double trap. I'm guessing most if not all of those shooters are getting those stocks gratis though... I wouldn't mind trying one (mainly for the glove grip portion of it), but not at $3k when you can get a complete custom stock for that money (or a PFS for less than 1/2).

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I know the theory of the short rib - it's mental - they still shoot the streak at their hold-point, but if you're locked-in, (and the stock fits), I'm not sure you could tell any difference in two barrels with a full- and half- high rib.

I think the glove grip stock is a true innovation, and surely some woodsmith will shortly have a good pattern for, minimally, a PFS grip, anyhow, but for benchrest trap, skeet and SC ... eh, why bother?

Bob

9. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Forgive me but I beg to differ skeetman.

Fact is double trap will go 4 rounds of 15 random pairs in 2013. This won't change the style of gun as only the first 5 pairs will be truly random. After the first five pairs at least one of the 2 targets in the next 5 pairs will be known, and spot shot. For the last 5 pairs, both will be known. This means 2/3 of the rounds can have a spot shot first bird.

Pocket held target counters will become common place, which will sadly detract from the sport, and it will become more mechanical than ever.

The high rib revolution is here to stay in all disciplines, all manufactureres are experience the shift, with Beretta almost ready to roll out its DT11 xtrap, and the success of the Perazzi mx2005 and 2008 worldwide, and Kolar no longer offering a flat rib version.

Regards, Danny

10. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

dickgtax............Mr. Ray Stafford has been shooting one for the last 2 years. Starting to see more and more of them in the trap game. You must pick one up and shoulder it to see how your eyes GO immediately out to the target zone. "run'em"

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Kolarpole: I didn't know that Stafford shot one. However, Stafford does sell
    Perazzi's for a living, and it would be good business for him to start shooting a gun that people might buy. I recall he was one of the first shooters to go
    to the high rib Perazzi.

It may be that the half rib does become popular one day. I just haven't seen it yet.

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I just saw a short rib MX2000/10 at the ATA shoot in Kingsburg yesterday. It was very interesting. All of the short ribs that I have seen to date were the MX-2005 height and this gun that Dave Kelly was shooting was not only lower but a top single/OU combo. Very neat. The noticable thing was that it was a much lighter barrel than a full length MX10 rib.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

They are for early visibility of the target with a PRE-MOUNTED gun. Not necessary or desireable for sporting, and especially FITASC sporting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ribs for sporting clay shooting