1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

short range patterning

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mercedesman1981, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

May 11, 2007
    I have read through some of the extensive background on patterning but could not find the answer to this question:
    Besides point of impact, can the resultant pattern from the 40' range be extrapolated to 40 yards? For example, if much of the pattern fits inside
    a 10" circle at 40', can you expect the same pattern relationship at 40yds and
    a 30" circle?

Seattle, Wa.

Yep, I'm new to the sport. I shot a lot of skeet 30 years ago and got pretty good at it (I was in Michigan at the time - way more opportunity there at that time than what I have found in the Seattle area). Over the past 4 years I have been shooting bullseye pistol and tried to get my son involved only to find out he likes shooting trap a whole lot more. Now I have found I like shooting trap a lot which works out just fine for the both of us and I have since introduced him to reloading. I also found my shotgun skills have deteriorated a lot too.
  2. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

May 16, 2007

The answer to your extrapolated pattern question, just simply no, as shot shell patterns are like that of a trumpet not as that of a cone.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Lkn4rocks- Are you sure that shot travels in a curve rather than a straight line? If so, what causes the shot to curve?

Pat Ireland
  4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mike, yes. The link shows how.

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

May 20, 2007
    If all the shot were perfectly round, yes, you could directly extrapolate from 40 ft to 40 yards, since it would describe a perfect cone. There is, however, always a bit of a trumpet effect, because some of the shot is not round, and does not travel in a straight line. Those are usually called "flyers", ie shot which strike outside the expected circle.

Extrapolation may be good enough for your purposes, since most serious shooters ignore the "flyers" when patterning.. Then again, there are some shooters, like me, who depend on them :)
  6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    SE PA
    Not really Mike. At 13.3 yds (40') ALL of the pellets from a good trap load will fall inside a 10" diameter circle if you use a Modified or tighter choke. If you could actually get all the pellets to stay inside a 30" circle at 40 yards, you'd have lots of trap shooters lined up outside your door wanting to buy that gun and load from you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.