1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

short chamber tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kelly andersen, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Several gun makers offer different gauge tubes that are not full length tubes, they just fit in the chamber. Are these worth the investment?? Just curious, some claim they are as good as full length tubes. Just curious. Sorry if this has been covered before.

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well i was going to ask same thing so lets hear from you guys that use them rick

3. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I HAVE A SET OF 28GA CHAMBERMATES. WORK GREAT IN ALL OF MY O/U. I ADD A COUPLE OF TURNS OF TEFLON TAPE AROUND THE O RINGS. THEY SEAL BETTER, LAST LONGER
    AND STOP THE "PULLING OUT" SYNDROME.

JOE

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Several articles have reviewed them- dont have the locations- other on here might

I know many people that use them on targets and there are many many problems when compared with full length "fitted" tubes

It probably depends what you are going to use them for

regards

Gene

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Chamber Mates, Skeeters, etc. are a cheap and not-nearly-as-effective alternate to full-length, fitted tubes.

Just as in every other life aspect, you get what you pay for.

6. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

The folks that I know that use them, use them so they can enter the small gauge events at sporting clays tournaments. In other words, they are going to shoot 50 rounds, they have plenty of time between stations to clean and repair them, and so they can put up with the shortcomings. These shooters are happy (or at least tolerate) them.

The people who shoot the small gauges seriously, skeet shooters, won't have anything to do with them.

No one even begins to think of shooting reloads in them.

I think that observation pretty well sums up the situation.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have both Briley Sidekicks in 12 to 28, and Seminole Chambermates in 12 to 20.

I prefer the Chambermates because they have an o-ring. The o-ring keeps the insert snug in the chamber, and it seals the chamber to keep the powder residue from getting back to your chamber face. On the other hand, you have to buy lots of o-rings, as they only last about 4 or 5 rounds.

The Sidekicks have only a small nylon button keeping them snug in the chamber. They leak a lot of powder residue back to the chamber face, and your gun gets pretty dirty. I have improved this on the Sidekicks by using some teflon tape on them to try to minimize the powder residue from getting back to the chamber face.

I have not doen extensive pattern testing. Only enough shots on a steel pattern board to assure myself they shoot the same POI as the gun does when I shoot it as a 12 gauge.

I use them for informal skeet leagues I am in (my company skeet league is handicapped, and you get a bigger handicap adjustment if you use sub-gauges...) For this purpose, they work fine. I maintain about an 88% average with the 28 gauge inserts. They break targets just fine on the skeet field.

To contradict what Southern Gentleman says, I indeed shoot reloads in both of them. The caveat here is you really must use premium shells in them (both new shells and especially reloads), otherwise the spent hull sticks tight in the insert, and your gun's extractor then tries to push the entire insert out, instead of just the spent hull.

I use Winchester AA's in the 20 gauge. New shells, as well as resized reloads work just fine.

I use Federal and Estate shells in the 28 gauge (they are the same hull), as well as resized reloads with those hulls.

I DO agree with what Southern Gentleman says when he notes that nobody (that I know of) who shoots skeet seriously, uses the short tubes.

If you shoot skeet or sub-gauge for fun and recreation, they're fine.

If you're going to shoot registered skeet, get full length tubes.

8. todman2

todman2 Member

The Cambermates and the Sidekicks are ok if you want to shoot skeet on a part time basis. I have friends who love them so much that I wanted to give them a try. I did research and found that the 410 gauge needs a longer tube to burn the powder fully. The Side Kick 410 tube is a longer tube but I don't think the Chambermates are.

I purchased a used set of Rhino Stingers. They are about 15" in lenght in all gauges and have their own screw in chokes. They smoke targets and can be used on just about any gun you have as the are held in place by an "O" Ring system. I shoot mainly competion skeet so I use Briley and Kolar fitted full lenght tubes in my skeet guns, which is really the best way to go if you want to be competive in skeet tourments and you don't have a major problem using reloads.

Only down side to the Rhino's, Chambermates and Side Kicks are they recommend factory shells. While I have seen reloads shot in these various tubes they required resizing of the hulls prior to reloading. You can pick up a used set of Stinger like I did for about $600 new they are about $1200 from Rhino Chokes. If you decide to spend the $1200 then like in an earlier post spend a few extra dollars and go for the Briley Companion Tube which are full length and are about $1500 total, for a set of subgauge tubes in 20, 28, and 410.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I recently bought the Seminole Chambermates. I only purchased one. I bought for our clubs yearly 20g fun shoot. I have found it to be worth every penny I paid. I will tell you a few members followed my lead, One shoots a K gun kx5 I think His held poorly with all shells except Win AA and STS. Other shooter has a single shot Valmet which also had ejection problems with the steel based loads. My Xt had very little issues. All three had big problems with estates. Federal target 4 packs,gun club where touchy. I had no problems with the gun clubs. The best shells for me and my XT Remington sure shot 1oz 7 1/2 shot, Remington Heavy dove 1oz 7 1/2shot Federal heavy field loads 1oz 7 1/2 also the STS did well but where 9s and I just never seem to shoot well with 9s. Some powder residue in all shells fired, this was expected. They give a 30day money back. For the fun shoots or trying to introduce some one to shooting or small amount of comp. they should be fine. Any thing more than that full length tubes are a must. chamber mates cheaper than a new gun and you wont have to get used to a new gun. PS I took second place with a 49. Broke targets just fine, didnt change chokes or anything. Im happy with it, but you must no its limits. The Skeeters are junk. they are just a sleeve that must be removed and knock the shell out. All in all great for fun shoots, nothing more.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have the skeeters in 12 to 20 gauge, you need 2 sets to shoot any skeet with them. The shell gets stuck and you waste time trying to remove the shell when your in the box. I'm not impressed with them and think you need to tighten your choke pattern a little with these things. I have not patterned any shells with the tube reducers but I have shot skeet and not very well with them in.

Jerbear

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks for the replies i would think that if you can break a target with a 28ga shot out of a 12ga choke what good is any choke i can see the full length tube but a 6in dont make sence if you have the cleaning and ejection problems rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.