1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Short barrels or Long?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by huskers, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huskers

huskers TS Member

Now that I've put my two cents worth on a couple things I'll show you how much I don't know. What are your thought on barrel lenghts for trap shooting. I've always thought 30" barrels was the standard but someone told me with practice I would do better with my little 26" O/U. What do you all think for someone who has yet to shoot at his first registered target. Jason W.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

Save your 26" bbls for quail or ruffed grouse. 30" min, 32 or 34 even better for trap. Even the skeet shooters are going to 30 & 32. Sporting shooters same, even 34" o/u not uncommon.
    It has a lot to do with your physical characteristics, the bigger & stronger you are, the longer the bbls. you can handle.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

if you shoot 26 fine shoot 26 , if you shoot 28 inch fine shoot 28, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

bill

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im 5'7" every gun I have tried with more than 30" barrels I feel like Im looking over the barrels. I put a 34" barrel on my 870 for S&Gs. it felt odd. What feels good and you can swing with confidence.

5. huskers

huskers TS Member

Thanks for all your input. Jason W.

6. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

if you are looking at the taret you you will be unaware of barrel length (as long as the balance is proper)

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Just like the sign in a men's toilet:

"Men with short barrels...PLEASE stand closer to the firing line!"

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

5'4" 200+ pounds using a 34" barrel on a Remington 1100. Come to Harry Koch Range in Omaha if you want to try it. Have developed a nice follow through since I can't stop a barrel that long quickly if I tried. Looking for a long barrel for my 390 next. Omaha

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think my single barrel is 34 inches and my double barrels are 32 inches but it has been so long since I bought the gun I really can't remember. They may be 32 inches and 30 inches. I am much more concerned with keeping my head looking down the barrels than how long my barrels are.

Someday I might measure my barrels if a ruler happens to be around when I am cleaning them.

Pat Ireland

10. gslam

gslam TS Member

I've found that long shoots harder futher. I wouldn't think of going back behind the fence in a turkey shoot shoot off without my 34". At 27yrds. I wouldn't think of shooting any less than 32". I've seen 30" fail too many times at that distance. If long wasn't better the long yard shooters would be shooting sawn off shot guns since they swing better.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I also prefer 32" O/U's and 34" Unsingles for ATA. I shoot Skeet with a 32" 12 ga.

Something was said above about the gun wanting to keep going after you get it started. There is truth to this.

My next game gun will likely be a True Field Double with 32" barrels.

12. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I use a 32" LUJTIC for everything,i am a 27yd shooter. I also use a high Olympic rib,Never noticed the barrel length to make any difference at all,except in your mind. If your not comfortable with your gun,it won't make a difference.
    Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.