1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

short barrel vs. Long Barrel pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Juat something a friend and I were discussing,and wondering what the actual truth is.

He stated that no matter what the length of the barrel the pattern is the same.

Seems to me that if the wad and shot start seperating when they leave the barrel,logic says to me that a 28" gun's pattern would start sooner than ,let's say a 34" barrel. And at some point(however minute) the shorter barrel's pattern would be larger than the longer barrel.

Anyone ever do a study to find out the difference? I realize it's not enough to make a real difference,but again,logic tells me I'm right.

Just some fodder for the Brainiacks to play with.

Doug H.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Patterns vary too much one to the next. The question is impossible to test; that is, it can't be scientifically answered.

Say a yard difference in gun-to-pattern board distance would make a 2% change in pattern density, a very high estimate. You are talking about a change 1/6 of that. So guess at 0.3% change. But patterns themselves will vary 10% in ten shots. How are you going to see 1/30th of that?

Neil

3. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

As Neil states, this is a question with no solution. A short barrel can pattern more open or tighter with same degree of choke. Its the individual barrel. Same goes for a barrel 6 to 8 inches longer.

4. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Doug, you are right. I believe it is also measurable, albeit an ultimately unrewarding exercise.

The tiny change in pattern spread is further reduced when converted to probability of hitting the target. I think it will make something like a 0.03% difference to the score.

Put another way, if you made a change to the gun, or better still, somebody else made a change to your gun and didn't tell you (and you didn't notice directly), a change in your score of 3% is probably something you would notice. Subjectively, you would notice shooting quite a bit better. 0.3% you would never notice and even averaged over a whole year is probably less than the natural year to year variation. 0.03% is one hundredth of your "I can see the difference" threshold.

Andrew.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whatever happens, will happen 6 inches sooner

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for the try at answers,and all probably are correct to a point.

I realize the question was hard and deals with absolutes.Each barrel would have to be perfect in bore and size etc. to even consider measuring the difference.I think Euro says what I surmise,considering again all factors were perfect.I do understand that even same size barrels pattern differently.Of course this question was mostly a theory question,and probability of proof would take longer than anyone would possibly desire to attempt.But I've been accused of over thinking at times,guess this was one of those times.

Doug H.

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The difference in patterns at even the remotest of practical distance would be impossible to quantify. It's a shotgun - deal with it

hahaha

Charlie

8. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Which ultimately begs the question: why are so many guys spending so much money on barrels that are SO long???????

Just asking.

Kit

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If there's any differences, it's insignificant.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

KIT-

Better sight plane. Put your finger up and look at it then put it 6 inches further away and look it.

11. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Thanks, Remstar.

That raises another question. How does sight plain square with the guys who say they don't even see the barrel once they lock on the target?

Kit

12. semperfi909

The difference in patterns at even the remotest of practical distance would be impossible to quantify. It's a shotgun - deal with it

hahaha

Charlie

13. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Which ultimately begs the question: why are so many guys spending so much money on barrels that are SO long???????

Just asking.

Kit

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If there's any differences, it's insignificant.

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

KIT-

Better sight plane. Put your finger up and look at it then put it 6 inches further away and look it.

16. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Thanks, Remstar.

That raises another question. How does sight plain square with the guys who say they don't even see the barrel once they lock on the target?

Kit

17. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Thnak you WS-1. That is a question I often ask.

18. semperfi909

The whole barrel length thing got beat to death over at shotgunworld.com. It was reeeeeallly funny. A couple folks gut way bent out of shape.

In my experience, barrel length is meaningless. The sighting plane business is old one-eyed rifle shooter wives' tale. All that matters is that you like the gun (the most important part), it fits you, and suits your shooting style. So if it rings your bell it is right. What you shoot don't mean squat to me, just like what I shoot don't mean squat to you. But it is a real hoot that folks think they can buy a target with a 35" (OMG!!) barrel. Those things look just monstrous in the rack next to my 28"ers hahaha

ROCK ON!!

Charlie

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Short barrelled shotguns fall into the myth section rather quick. Same with a quality handgun, most people would be totally surprised at it's true accuracy from a rigid rest and a good quality scope mounted on it!

Hap

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Timely thread as I'm shooting my 30 inch 3200 and considering what to do with my 33 inch single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

short vs long shotgun barrel

thing that goes in the barrel of the gun to make a better pattern

trap shooting with short vs long barrel