1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shopping for a new truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sterlingworth, Jan 1, 2017.

1. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I am in need of a new truck or suv. I dont want a full size one ,as I dont need it. Iam looking at the Nissan Frontier,Ford Edge,Chevy Colorado. I now have an edge and I like it but its starting to give problems. I need 4 wheel drive,and V-6 . Any feed back would be a help. Thanks and a Happy New Year to all..Ray

2. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

Man are you opening a can of worms. Just check out the "why I won't buy a ford" thread. Apparently there is really no car manufacturer that doesn't have some type of baggage. Good Luck!
    Years ago, I was a Chevy Silverado guy, for the last 15 years or so I have gone with Ford. I have heard some good things about the Toyota Tundra. But I am sure someone will come along and tell us why those are junk also.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    dirt stirrer thanked this.
  3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tundra's are very nice trucks. Just be near a gas station all time.

4. mrpheyed

mrpheyed TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ray, You just described my truck...It's a Honda Ridgeline.

5. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

I want a GMC Canyon with a Duramax, had 2 3/4 ton crews with the 6.6 and they were great, hear the small one is getting around 30 on the highway.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My 2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7 V8 just turned 208,000 miles with no major maintenance issues. I did have to re-balance the drive shaft and replace 3 universal joints at 189,000 miles. It has been a very solid truck and gets an honest 15 MPG.

A new Tacoma 3.5 V6 would be my recommendation. I have owned Ford, GM and Chrysler and IMO, Toyota has much better long term value.

I think that diesel's are better if you need the power but the cost of oil changes and initial purchase premium offset any fuel savings unless you drive a lot of miles. I don't care for the noise and smell either.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Been lucky I guess--have never owned a foreign vehicle. Was a Ford guy until about 1970 when I got 3 duds in a row. Switched to Chevy, pretty good luck, bought another Ford in 04, it's OK but sure not caught up to Chevy yet. After reading "why I won't buy a Ford" guess I'll just stay with Chevy for a while longer. Brother went to Dodge with Cummins diesel and likes them, may give them a look next time.

wingmaster78 thanked this.
  8. silver sides

silver sides Active Member

+1 for the Ridgeline.When it was time to replace my Sportrac,the small imports were the only ones that would fit my garage.The Ridgeline has a large locking trunk in the bed which is great for keeping your guns out of sight.The rear seats fold up and give you an open flat area for ur ammo,bags etc.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Tacoma. I think it's the best truck money can buy and it has the highest resale of any truck on the market.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 Colorado 6 1/2 ft box. v-6 and rated for 7,000 lbs towing. I have 19,000 miles and averaging a real life 22.8 mpg. Even the wife likes the ride with this truck.

The diesel is rated at 7,700 lbs towing.

Carbine2k1 thanked this.
  11. Readgriff

Readgriff Member

My last Chevy 1994 truck had 275,000 miles on it when I sold it no major problems.
    Have 2009 Chevy truck with 165,000 miles no major problems.
    I have a friend that sold his older Colorado and bought a new 2016 and likes it allot.
    The midsize trucks are just to small for me.
    I suggest you go demo the trucks and see what is right for you.
    I really think there all pretty good as long as you change the oil and filter in motor at 5,000and the transmission oil and filter 50,000 it has worked for me.
    I change my own oil be careful where you have it done cheap isn't always the best.
    Enjoy shopping for a new truck.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hyundai Tucson mid size suv. HMB

13. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Had a 91 Nissan extended cab 4x4 2 door.
    Had a 97 Nissan Frontier 4x4 extended cab 2 door.
    Had a 01 Nissan Frontier 4x4 4 door.

All got 14-17 mpg. Underpowered with
    inadequate cargo and passenger space.
    They were reliable though.

Had a 12 F150 4x4 4 door with 6 cyl. Eco boost. All good.
    Have an aluminum body 15 F150 4x4 4 door with 5.0 V-8. Even better gas mileage after 60,000 miles. 18-20 mpg.

Would never go back to a smaller pickup.

14. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

My brother bought one new in 05 and we all have him crap for buying a "Jap truck". Well he still has it and Ive had three trucks since. He's got somewhere around 3ook on it now. And the resale on Tacomas has to be the best of any non collector car out there. I'll be looking at one when its time.

15. Carbine2k1

Carbine2k1 Member

Is it 4x4? My 4 cylinder S10 hardly got better mileage than what you are getting, that's nuts.

16. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I did a lot of shopping and research before I bought my 2016 Tundra 4x4. I have no doubt that Toyotas have a better repair rate and a higher resale than any of the other truck makers. If I were you, I'd spring for a Tacoma 4x4 with the v6. It's not as big as a Tundra but it's bigger than a Ranger or a Colorado and the engine/driveline has the most trouble free record in the business. Oh, and it's made in the USA

MDshotgunner thanked this.
  17. jredding

jredding Active Member

Just asking out of pure curiosity since it sounds like a lot of guys here have small trucks, why do you opt for the small trucks ? It doesn't appear they are cheaper to buy or cheaper to own, parts aren't less, shop rates aren't less because they're small, mileage is no better than any half ton so I've heard, so for even money why a small truck not at least a half ton without so many limitations ?

Catpower thanked this.
  18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

jredding, go price some trucks, large and small then get back to us.

Yes it is a 4x4. Of course the milage is in 2 wheel drive. I had a 2012 Colorado before the 2016. The newer one has more cab room and a longer wheel base (long bed).

Carbine2k1 thanked this.
  19. grunt

grunt Well-Known Member

20. jredding

jredding Active Member

Wow it seems impossible not to get a bitter response on here, I'm fully aware of the price of new trucks, I buy fleet trucks where I work, so that's usually six or eight a year, and trade my own about every five, so how many have you bought in the last year ? I just know the tiny trucks are no savings to even run as parts trucks for us, we've tried it and they've shown no savings, I was just asking what the advantage may be for individual use. I wasn't being rude or criticizing anyone but you felt the need to be a know it all and respond like a jerk. So before you tell me to go price a truck you should stop and think maybe you're not the smartest man in the world and maybe everybody else isn't an idiot.

Catpower thanked this.