1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shop radio recommendation ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ponderosa_boy, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponderosa_boy

ponderosa_boy TS Member

I am just finishing my reloading shop and bought a $30 boom box from WalMart just for the radio function. The )(*&^%$#@! wouldn't even get half of the FM stations in the area that I receive easily on car radio. It also didn't have a digital tuner ( my fault - I misinterpreted picture on box ) , so it wandered ( moved away from selected station after awhile ) badly.

I am not an audiophile, I just want to listen to ballgames while loading. Any ideas ? Also, can anything be done antenna wise to improve reception ? Thx.

Bob Toy

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Take the thing back and if you cant take it back take it out and shoot it.

Where is your reloading shop? In the basement or in a concrete garage or in a metal shed or ... well ... get yourself a real radio and give it a try again if your not in a place that will block most if not all the radio signals.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, buy a laptop and get internet access. you can get all the radio you want, from wherever you want..

Jim

4. ponderosa_boy

ponderosa_boy TS Member

The shop is actually a 12x24 wooden building in back yard. I didn't run ethernet cable out to it, so internet access would be a problem. Someone mentioned a 'real' radio ? What make & model ?

5. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Get an AM-FM digital AC plug-in radio. But be sure it has an outlet for sterio sound. Most do. But check to be sure. Then...

I think the best gift to give yourself this xmas is a pair of good speakers (bass and trebble in each) set widely apart and set high enough in your work shop not to get in the way of your work bench.

Speakers not have to be expensive but must be AC operated. Speakers quickly suck a battery dead. Use an extension cord if necessary but get them apart to enjoy sterio sound. Next to buying a K gun, it will be the best money spent this year! Hard to believe the difference.

Any computer or audio store will have speakers pre-wired and set to plug in. Get the largest you can accomodate. Just plug one plug in the radio. Enjoy.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What kind of antenna does the unit have? If it's a standard collapsing type be sure it's fully extended.

Eric

7. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Have you asked around, I got a free radio when one of the kids got a "sound system" a car radio works great, it can run off of a 12V battery or with a power supply that are cheap (look for one that puts out 13.8 volts), it will pull in just about any station...most will have speakers because they get new ones....Grubby

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just go get a decent radio and be done with it. When you buy a $30 multi everything box that is what your going to get ... its like buying a car. If all you care about is getting from point "A" to poing "B" a cheap ass Kia for $7500 off the showroom floor will work but if you want to go from point "A" to point "B" with a little more safety and comfort your going to have to spend more than the bottom of the barrel for your ride ... just like your shop radio ... buy cheap your going to get cheap and you wont be happy.

Open your wallet and spend a few bucks and get something decent ... spend the dough and be happy but be careful how you unpack the next cheapie you buy so when it doesn't work you can go back and exchange it for a better one again and again and again till your spending about $80 to $100 for a good one.

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I bought my wife an XM radio that works well in the house. A little more versatile than AM/FM types.

Most car radios are more sensitive then portable radios unless you get a good one. The car antenna is more efficient.

10. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Get a C Crane radio. I have one in my basment shop and I pick up all the stations I could want - AM and FM.

Check their website www.ccrane.com

Gene Batchelar Wheaton, IL

11. Robb

Robb Member

We now have three Grundig S350 radios. 100 bucks at target. They are great IMO. They do have external antenna jacks. Check them out.

12. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Just can't beat the CCRadio Plus - JoeBerg

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I bought this one because I wanted to time-shift programs. Works great, but took some time to figure out the setup.

14. lju

lju Member

If you haven't gotten one yet, check out Tivoli Audio. I have a Model Two in my basement reloading room and it sounds great. You can also add an optional CD if you want.

lju
    [​IMG]

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ahahaha....oh, geez "Delightful Analog tuning dial".

Thats funny.

Go to Circuit city or Best buy and get yourself a small receiver and a pair of speakers. You can listen to them there and see how they receive.

FYI a receiver consists of an amplifier and a tuner. You could get the 2 pieces separate but it would cost more.

Get something made by Technics, Sony, Kenwood. You can add a CD unit any time you want. Forget cassettes, they are all but dead.

If money is a problem, you can get some damn nice stuff at Goodwill but you have to haunt the place till you find something.

Don't get sucked into the Bose BS trap. An adequate product with a superior hype.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.