1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shop Lighting Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a shop that is 24 x 36. I'm looking at 8 foot H.O lights. I can either put 9 lighting units or take a chance on just 6. What would be needed to light the shop without over killing things?

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Put in the 9 fixtures, You just cant have a shop thats to well lit. I would wire them every other fixture to seprate pair of switchs so you can do 50% or 100% on.

Doug

3. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

6 lights will work until that, "Darn, I wish I had put 9 lights in" moment hits. No such thing as too much light in a shop.

4. cjkostic

cjkostic Member

Just finished lighting my shop. Mine is 24 x 18. I ran T8 fixtures (more energy efficient) the long way. Four fixtures is all it took and plenty of bright, white light.

5. Auctioneer

Thanks for the info. I have at this time three rows of lights. 4 units per row. The lights are bad by the means of some will come on and others will not. I got these used. Anyway each row has its own switch because if one row of lights go out I will always have lights to fix what ever needes to be fixed to get them back on. I'm just going to put NEW lights up so to fix any and all problems.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You can get electronic ballasts where the first fixture is the master & the second is the slave. One ballast, 4 T-8's & with the proper reflectors, you'll get more light than 8 old T-12's Used to do this for my customers-one job was 20, 000 fixture retrofit.

Phil Berkowitz

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have 4 t-5's in mine....it's more than I had with 6 of the old ones. More than enough for table saw and laminate work.

If you are running a operating room that's different. But they have special lights for those.

Rick in MT

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I have 9 in my 24 x 24 shop, and still have spots on 2 work benches, you can always pull the bulbs if you don't need them... my money is on you will like the MORE LIGHT... Grubby

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My shop is 24 x 32. It is drywalled and painted. I put in two rows of H.O. flourescent lights (three 8 foot units per row). I put each row on a separate switch so I can control the lighting. The lights give off a bit of heat so I often just use one row to keep the temperature down and save on the AC cost.

What would I do different? I would use lights with electronic ballasts. They make less noise (buzz) and may give off less heat.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

10. midalake

midalake Banned User Banned

You have to seperate general light from task lighting. I use regular outdoor florescent yard lights [just remove the photo eyes] space about 12-15 feet. Lots of cheap light. Now there are lots of led work lights set these up where you need them. Or seperate flourscent fixtures. I have also used high pressure sodium, but the light is slightly yellow and there is a warm-up period. The bonus is I have 5 of these fixtures that have not burned out a bulb in 15 years.

GS

11. Auctioneer

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

30 years ago I didn't need any lights except an occasional drop light. 20 years ago I had plenty of light in my shop. Today, I have to push stuff outside to work on it in the sunlight. I guess my point is you might not need all the lights now, but you will. You can do it now or do it later, sorta like the oil filter commercial. I would load up on em now, everything is easier when you are younger including installing the lights.

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed, light it up. but lets look at the bulbs: whether a 1 1/2" dia. 40 watt t12, a 1" dia. 32 watt t8 or a 5/8" dia. 28 watt t5, they all put out about 3000 lumens - smaller bulb diameter, less mercury, less energy usage, same light output. a high output bulb only comes in the form of a 54 watt t5 that puts out about 5000 lumens, lasts about 20,000 hours and survives being flipped on and off really well. but at 54 watts, there goes your energy efficiency. however, its cool to see that much light coming out of such a skinny bulb. anyway, you didn't mention your ceiling height. t5 ho's can be pretty harsh under 16 feet

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Another tip: Whatever your lighthing, it will seem much brigher if the walls are painted white.

-Gary

15. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Painting the walls and ceiling are the most important part, and will brighten the place up more than lights can. I put an addition on my house and added a shop underneath. After painting it, and walking in at night, my eyes literally hurt from how bright it was. After getting used to it I now wish I had put in one extra light at the front of the shop.I would say it is brighter than a surgical room right now, and still wish I had that one extra light.

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

GW22 beat me to it. You need everything including the floor if possible painted white for maximum reflected light.

17. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ceiling height will make a difference. If you want cheap, nice light you cannot go wrong with 4bulb T8 strips. They are 8 foot long, have 4 bulbs and are fairly inexpensive to buy. I would advise buying them from somewhere other then lowes, menards, home depot as these will be cheap ballasts and fixtures. If you have a local electrician you use, i would ask for a price and order them from him if it is in your budget. You will be much happier with these fixtures. Good luck to you.

Oh also, more light is more better!!!!! hahaha.

18. Auctioneer

Yoteslyer, I did go to a lighting store that does just lights. They wanted $100.00 in av per light. That would be $900.00 in av for lights. I will be using 9 8 foot HO lights. 6 would be to far appart to do any good for me. I did put card board up on the rafters to see how they would look and it just wasn't going to cast enough light where I would need it. The outer rows would be good for the wall work and the center for the cars and woodworking.

19. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

100 per light seems about right with bulbs. I would steer away from high outputs personally. If you go with T8s they are much cheaper to maintain with about the same light output. If you go to change bulbs someday you are talking 15 bucks a bulb for high outputs and 5-7 bucks a bulb for T8s. Ballats are much much more for HOs then for the electronic T8 ballasts. just looking long term here.

20. Auctioneer

I can get the HO 8 footers for $39 each. 2 bulb. I will be needing 9 of them. Thats $351.00. I can get 4 bulb 4 footers for $48.00 each. Thats $576.00. I will be needing 12 of those. I would like to get better ones but I have to work with a STRING budget if you know what I mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.