1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shop at Gander Mountain - why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Crickets, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

I have a Gander Mountain Retail store near my work. I go in periodically, but never buy anything because I get very frustrated with;
    1.Prices - always high. Example Top Gun Target Loads - $6.99 box $6.99!!!!. Even their sale prices are no savings.
    2.Everything out of place from where the price are listed, so you have to search for the price of the item you want. 5 minutes to find the item then 10 minutes to find the price, which is 20 - 50% higher than anyplace else.
    3. Awful customer service, can rarely find anyone w/knowledge of the stock or location, and they always act like their cigarette break was due 15 minutes ago.
    4. Did I mention their prices? I've been tempted a couple times when I thought I needed something right away, but decided i could wait a couple days, order it on line, pay shipping and still be quiet bit lower that what I would have paid at Gander Mountain.

This is a NC store, and maybe my experience with this particular store is unique, but I have been in many times and my experience today was just a repeat of my many stops. I see no reason to ever go back in there. I remember Gander Mountain as a catalog when I was a kid, and it always seemed to have the greatest items and great prices. I have been nothing but disappointed with the retail store. Is this store and my experience unique?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

"NO" your not alone!!! Same way here in Florida. Dicks seems abit better on their sale prices of gun clubs now at $5.50 on sale. Problem is you have to go there 5-6 weeks in a row to find the sale. Tring to get a sales clerk to tell you on the phone if their is a sale is like tring to blood from a stone. Welcome to the new age of warehouse buying!!!!!!!! The days of customer and personal service are gone forever!!! break em all Jeff

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

No reason to ever go in a Gander Mountain to purchase anything. What you have experienced at your local store is found chain wide. Been in dozens of them. Mostly to use the bathroom when traveling.

4. Crickets

Crickets Member

I'm not a big fan of Dicks, but when I go there I understand that Outdoor Sports are a small part of their business. They are a typical "sporting goods" store. I just expect that a Gander Mountain who's main focus is hunting and fishing would be more focused on servicing the Rod and Gun crowd. But its almost like they are trying to take advantage of the novice crowd rather than build a lasting customer that grows with their sport.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I was taught by my parents that if I do not have anything good to say about someone or something, don't say anything. I choose to say nothing.
    Steve Balistreri

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Will this pass Steve? I HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT GANDER MOUNTAIN. LOL Jackie B.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You guys forgot to add Bass Pro Shops!

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Gander Mtn slogan........"Beyond Retail".........nuff said

GS

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, when you constantly voice this opinion to the store management their response is what?

You did bring this to there attention, right?

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Only thing I ever bought at Gander was a mint,cased K-80,30" sporter,factory adj comb.
    Somebody had stolen 4 of the 5 Ti chokes. Did some serious wheelin',dealin',yellin',screamin',callin'. After about 5-6 weeks of this,got the gun for $5000. Shipped to me free. No sales tax. Could not hit anything,sold it for what I had in it. Still it is fun to look thru their fine gun room.

11. msmith

msmith Member

My local Gander Mountain is a hit or miss store. Their prices are usually higher but have great close out sales. I did know the one sales manager and every once in a will I would run into a deal you could not pass up. I purchased 70 cases of Federal Gold Medal 20ga. @ $3.00 a box. I had to purchase all the remaining stock. So I purchased 70 cases of the stuff and 20 cases of Federal Gold Medal 28 ga, @ $4.00 a box. I thought my wife was going to kill for spending $3000 on ammo but she was aware of ammo prices. The funny part was seeing 2 local police as I was loading the last case in my truck ( my truck bed was full and the truck was setting a little low). They ( local city polite police who probably not use to guns) asked me what I was going to do with all the ammo. So, I turned to my son and asked if he wanted to go shooting tomorrow and my son said "I hope we don't run out of ammo" as a joke. You should of seen the look on their faces. They also have pretty close outs on clothing. I purchased some heavy flannel shirts for $10 apiece. Reg. price was $28. Shop smart, MIke

12. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

As an addition to all the postings on this thread, I also do not have anything to say about their "gunsmithing". JM

13. teddytheyorkie

teddytheyorkie TS Member

I've had some good luck at the Gander Mountain in Rochester, Minnesota. I've purchased a Winchester model 12 in good shape under $500, a Browning 425 under $1,000 and recently a NIB Sig Sauer P250 9mm for $350. You have to check out their racks for bargains, it never hurts to look....

Mark H

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've gotten a couple of decent deals at the one in Sherman Tx, but since Cabela's opened in Allen I won't waste my time, I know Cabela's isn't the cheapest, but close most of the time, but they sure seem to find good looking women to work in there and they tailor make their clothes to fit

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

GM is hit or miss for me....the one I visited over the summer had North Face pants on sale, at $30/pair....normally these are $65/pair. There was no sign that advertised the reduction in price. I found the same thing at Dicks...they would mark down their name brand outdoor wear like North Face but not put a sign up advertising the sale price. So whenever I go in and see pricey brand name gear that I like, I always ask a store clerk to scan the tag to see what the real price is. The advertised tag price may seem to be high but it pays to double check with a store clerk and have them scan the tag to see if it's been reduced in the system....

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

I hit the local store today. Got 32 boxes of Peters for $5/box. Cleaned them out.

The Peters hulls load like STS's.

Don Verna

17. FIB

FIB Member

My local GM is very hit or miss also. I used to pick up some deals on nice used firearms but my local GM has changed their buying policy and only pays 50% of the blue book value. They literally only have 6-10 used guns and they are all over priced. I do buy clothing and camping supplies there when they are on sale. It seems to me they are backing away a little from the firearm business. For years they had a gunsmith onsite but got rid of him a couple of years ago and never replaced him.

18. letts

letts TS Member

If I do not go to Gander, Wally world is the only option with in 25 miles of home.

Letts

19. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Our local GM gun department is nuts. Super rough Model 12 trap, $1795. Components are 30% to 50% over any major supplier. The largest Bass Pro Shop to date just opened in our town of 55,000. The prices are a match to GM but the selection and atmosphere are so far superior I fear GM will close in 6 months. I buy components at neither.

20. revbook

revbook Member

Gander "Rip Off" Mountain! The ones here in Western PA are having a closeout on all of their MEC reloaders and components. Funny, if you check their website the MEC traveling van is scheduled to appear at some of their stores this month. It seems strange that the factory reps would set up at a store that will no longer carry their products.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.