1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Wobble Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Our club has a "wobble trap" set up...5 stations set up beside and over a trap that moves side to side and up and down...anyone know of any suggestions on how to shoot this and gun chokes, etc...thanks, WC

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Flat shooting O/U, choked lt. full and full. HMB

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Go to www.shootingbunker.com. There is a discussion of shooting wobble trap within the site. Hold low on the house. The speed of the bird is usually faster than regular trap and the angles are usually set wider. Wobble is a game of reacting and swinging the gun more quickly than regular trap. There is much more lead on the angled birds, while very little lead on straight-away flat birds. You have to shoot quickly and instinctively rahter than being slow and deliberate. Choke tight because the birds on edge present a smaller target. On Youtube you can see some Olympic bunker shooters. They use 24 gram loads which are close to 7/8 ounce. A faster load is helpful, like a sporting clays load. If you really want the most fun that you can have with your clothes on, try wobble doubles(LOL). Bob

4. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

This setup has the shooter next to or above the trap with 5 stations in a pyramid...#3 station is directly above the trap...and of course the trap is moving side to side and up and down....WC

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

We had a regular trap and I was averaging 96 and thought I was doing so good and then the unit was replaced with a wobble and my average dropped to 85. I said all that to say this, side to side angles are much greater and ups and downs make it even harder. I shoot quick and believe a light modified choke is all you would need but I use imp cyl most of the time. I love the wobble for the long bird games from the overlaid skeet field. I like a one ounce load for wobble. I line up on the center top of the house as it seems easier to pick up the angle of the bird. Jackie B.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you are that close to the trap, you don't need such tight chokes. It sounds more like a variation on a 5 Stand course. IC should work. Shooting down on targets takes some getting used to. Sounds like fun. Mark

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Tighter choke if its throwing international targets. A longer distance and faster...

8. Oregunner

"This setup has the shooter next to or above the trap with 5 stations in a pyramid...#3 station is directly above the trap"
    This isn't anything like international trap. Have you ever shot targets standing on the traphouse? Mark

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shoot a lot of wobbles, using light full and full chokes, 24 gm International loads out of a flat-shooting DT-10. Chichay

10. Oregunner

Sounds like something like this, with a wobble trap under station three?
    Mark
    oregunner_2008_030341.jpg

11. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Thats it exactly....it is going to take a lot of work to learn to be a decent shot at this game...what a challenge....WC

12. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Our club just put in a similar setup. The targets are set at the same speed as regular trap. First time out I used Light Mod chokes with one ounce of eights. I missed plenty--but the choke and load combo worked just fine.

13. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I thought shooting on a regulation 16 yard trap field at targets thrown from a wobble trap was cool - until I saw this structure. Where the heck is that place? I'd certainly make an effort to at least visit.

Larry

14. Oregunner

outside of Bend, Oregon. see link

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use my 870 Comp. for wobble. Shoots flat enough and smokes 'em.

16. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

People shouldn't smoke crack and build trap stations at the same time.

17. DanLee

DanLee Member

A bunch of old guys at our local IWLA shoot a variation of wobble trap which they call skrap, since they shoot from the skeet stations. It is challenging.

18. dls guide

dls guide Member

Try wobble oscillating doubles. Good game.

19. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

IWLA?

Charlie

20. Oregunner

Izaak Walton League of America

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
what choke for wobble skeet
what choke should i use on wobble