1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Without a Choke Tube Installed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tea sipper, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tea sipper

tea sipper TS Member

I like to shoot skeet with a cylinder choke. I've often wondered if on some of the single-barreled guns I've owned with choke tubes if I could just shoot without a tube installed. I know the threads in the barrel would get filled with crud, but has anybody out there ever seen a structural failure of a barrel because it was accidentally (or otherwise) shot without a tube installed? Thanks.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have not, it's called "shooting threads". Many times done in sporting clays for those 'in your face' targets.

It's a wonderment to me how it would damage anything, excepting steel shot, it's so very much softer than the steel.

Jim

3. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

tea sipper - you must be sipping a lot more than tea, or else you are smoking an illegal substance. If I were you, I would learn how to shoot straight before I screwed up a perfectly good shotgun. If you cannot learn how to frequently hit 25 skeet targets with a 12 gauge, you are the worst shot in the world and removing the choke tube is not going to help.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

its often done in sporting clays as previously mentioned, and sometimes accidentally done (I know of one girl from here thats accidentally done it for a 100 target event (and didn't shoot all that bad for shooting trap w/ a gun that had no choke LOL), but she'll remain nameless :)), but i don't think i'd recommend it for any more than a couple shots. That carbon would eventually fill the threads, as well as the rest of the reamed-out portion where the choke would go, so in otherwords, the carbon would fill in where the steel is missing and eventually return the barrel to a "fixed choke" cylinder bore gun. If you've ever seen a Cutts Compensator thats so built up w/ carbon that the wad can barely clear the carbon as it goes through the comp you know what I mean). Not to mention if you shot enough through it, the carbon would be impossible to get out, and you'd have to buy/borrow a choke tap to retap the threads to get the crap out. Call any reputible choke tube mfg, and i'm sure they'll tell you flat out not to do it.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Back in the ealy 80's I bought a new SKB combo 585 and never shot it for practice, went straight to a registered shoot ( Fulton Co GC in Rochester Indiana) I broke the first 25 and I just knew I was dead on all of them but they all just chipped away. Next 25 same thing. I was puzzled because I knew they should have been smoke. I looked to see what tube was in the gun and there was no tube. Never damaged the gun a bit. ( yes I broke the next 50 with smoke like they should have. First 100 straight I ever shot.

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Oh Oh SkeetMan....Do we know each other? I shot a 100 target event and shot an 83....Was wondering what the heck I was doing wrong. Went on to shoot doubles and take my choke tube out of the single barrel and put it into my O/U. You guessed it!.....No choke tube! I then went to another club and shot 100 skeet targets....Forgot I shot Trap doubles with the O/U barrel and left the Full and IM in the O/U barrel. Did much better without choke tubes in Trap than I did with F and IM in skeet. BUT, when I hit those skeet targets, I smashed them to dust! ;)

7. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

It doesn't hurt anything. The threads only see the plastic of the wad. They get filled with plastic and are hard to clean. The pattern is actually like an IC. I sespect the wad is slowed by the threads and the pellets stay together.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

yvonne- haha, there must be more than one female shooter from ts.com who's done that then LOL. As I recall, the person i know who did it had about the same results that you did.

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I've never seen a problem with it, and I have seen it done hundreds of times, but only in sporting clays.

Back in 1987, five of us, the United States Shooting Team, were in England for the World Shoot. We had a report pair that was tough, both shots were close, maybe 20 feet. The problem was there was such a tight narrow window to shoot these targets. One was a rabbit that was seen just for an instant between logs and haybales and the other was in the sky between trees. The targets were so close and so fast they were just instinct shots.

We talked it over as a team and three of the men, Dan Carlisle, Dan Reeves and Jay Braccini were shooting Beretta 303's and they were the first I have ever seen shoot threads. Allan Owens had a Browning Over & Under with fixed skeet chokes and I had two barrels, one a 28 inch with Briley chokes and a 26 inch barrel that originaly was a 30 inch trap barrel that was cut off to 26 inches, with cylinder choke.

How did it work? we never missed, as a team we hit all fifty on that station.

Since then in California I have seen it done over and over with never a problem damaging the treads. As someone above stated, the only thing doing over the treads is plastic from the wad. I have seen the treads get packed with plastic and a thread cleaner had to be used to clean the treads as it can become difficult to screw in a normal choke if done a lot.

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE WHAT I HAVE SEEN--USE AT YOUR OWN RISK--YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

Tom Strunk

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

gun1357

An EXCELLENT reason to keep a choke tube in place!!

11. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

"Shooting the threads " --- wouldn't that be a bit like "makin' luv with out a ++++++ " ? Might be OK once ?, twice ? BUT doesn't it take only one wrong encounter to be ruined for life ?

The reward just doesn't seem worth the risk .

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting shotgun without choke installed

shooting skeet with cylinder barrels