1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with one leg

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dogsitter, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogsitter

dogsitter TS Member

I have a conditio0n from diabetes and have lost 80% use of left leg I can stand and walk around with walker, how do most shooters feel about shooting with someone like me and does any one else shoot with a walker or some other device. Sure miss shooting. Rube

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have shot with guys using stools that they carry, walkers that they can sit on, scooters and full wheelchairs. My admiration for their love of the game made the little bit of extra time they needed to change stations a small price to pay for the enjoyment of shooting with them.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Last year I lost a shooting buddy from the club, who due to various ailments used one of those wheeled walkers with handgrips that doubled as a seat. I would carry his firearm to the line and on each move - it probably incensed a few folks, but screw 'em - he paid his dues and was deserving.

Rube:

One idea I offered, that he eventually used, was to clamp a couple of those ATV brackets onto the walker as a gun rack - some guys got a little concerned because the gun was carried side-ways and horizontal, but with the action open I never had any concerns.

Made him independent that he could carry his own firearm and ammo. He used the seat for shooting, but more importantly he was able to participate. His determination was inspiring to the rest of us.

If your fellow shooters don't offer, ask them to assist you, they will step up and not only assist, but also encourage others to better understand those with physical challenges - and in the process, you will have actually helped others.

Good Luck!

Jay Spitz

4. major146

major146 Member

Last year I watched a guy shoot trap with a walker. He always started from position 1 so he would not have to walk from 5 to one. He also had a sling on his gun. He was a right hand shooter and had the sling over his left shoulder and would just let the gun hang across his chest as he moved from station to station. He was a pretty good shot too and was consistently in the low 20s.

5. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Shooting with James Foster has been a delight and an inspiration. He is a wheelchair shooter that can beat any of us most days. AJ

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I've shot with people in wheelchairs, wasn't any different than shooting with able bodied people to me...Bill

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

As long as your safe to be around you are more than welcome!

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You'd always be welcome on my squad........

Hauxfan!

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

He can shoot beween us Haux

Bill

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

PLEASE don't give it up.

11. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I have often shot with people in wheel chairs or also with some who use a modified bar stool with a rotating seat to help with turning to the birds. As was mentioned above, if you ask, I am sure anyone would be more than happy to caddy for you between stations. Keep on shootin.
    Only problem I can see is that if you get in a rules argument, someone is likely to tell you that you don't have a leg to stand on........sorry about that, it just slipped out, I hate it when it does that.
    Dennis

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

Sorry, but I don't shoot with one legged or one armed shooters, Rube Goldberg.

Having just one ear or one nut would be fine though.

13. old george

old george TS Member

I walk with some difficuty bcause of bad knees and legs.I love to shoot and since I'm 89 years old want to continue.Everyone at every range I have shot at helps me carry my gun,is helpful when I shoot and make me feel welcome to be on their squad.I really appreciate this -their concern and fellowship -more than I can express .So please remember that someday you will understand how I feel

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rube, I think we all pretty much agree that you just need to come down to the range and all will work its way out. However you get there and whatever you need to shoot just get it and go. I met a nice gentleman at a range that is now closed. He used to be able to keep his scooter parked at the club with no problems. The range is now closed and can no longer keep his scooter at the next closest range. He can not use his car to take his scooter. I have a full size van and made a ramp so i can drive his scooter up into my van and take him to the range as often as I can. Where there is a will there is a way. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Make up a scabbard for the walker, similar in concept to the scabbards used for lever guns on horseback. The muzzle will be down and forward.<br>
    <br>
    There are a couple of old wheelchair bound trapshooters in my area - don't make a money bet with them!!!

16. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

One of our club members shoots from either a stool or a powered scooter. He's always welcome and, I learned early not to get into a skins game with him. He's deadly with his 20ga. Not only do I not mind, I help the guy load and unload his scooter from his van. My wife is handicapped, she spent 5 years in a powered wheel chair.. Never think that that just because they need a little help between stations that they're not capable of ANYTHING. JMHO.

Shawn

17. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Rube:
    If someone doesn't want to shoot with you because of your condition they're not worth shooting with! I shoot with an older fellow who uses a wooden stool. He has a "hitch in his get-along" and can't stand long enough to shoot a round of trap. Our club is open Tuesday & Thursday nights and he is the first one there and always shoots at least three rounds. Do what you can to adapt and overcome!

Rem31TC

18. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I find that trapshooters are fairly accepting of all people who want to shoot....hell...the skeeters dont even have to wear their pink tutus when they come to shoot trap.

All joking aside, there are a couple of guys that I used to shoot with before I moved to Chicagoland that used a stool to shoot from. Both of them still shot their old Model 12's, even though they both owned far more expensive guns. They shot the same load from the 16 all the way back to the 50 yard line....18 grains of promo and 1 1/8 oz of 8s....all year long. They broke birds with high consistency from the super long yardages and you for darn sure didnt want to be in a shootoff against them. I always considered it an honor to get to shoot with these guys as they were a big part of the clubs heritage.

I say get out there and shoot...and shoot well!!!! If I see you around someday I will consider it an honor to shoot with you.

Forrest

19. fiftystr8

fiftystr8 TS Member

Rube, I would not hesitate to shoot on your squad. I frequently shoot with a fine man who uses a walker and stool to shoot from. I would rather shoot with him than some of the nose in the air types who would not. Keep shooting and enjoy it, if somebody doesn't like it, let them change squads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.