1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting With One eye or two eyes?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Drumplayer26, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

I have been shooting trap for 3 years, and up until just recently i've only shot with one eye. Then about 2 months ago my friend suggested shooting with 2 eyes. There are advantages to both, but i'm not sure which one to stick with, opinions pls

2. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Both eyes wide open.

3. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

yeah, i guess its better, i can defintaly spot the targets faster

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've always shot with both eyes open I really struggle when shooting rifle or pistol.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

I usually take both eyes to the range with me just in case one of them goes bad but normally I only use one at a time and most times I like to close them both so the sun doesnt get in them.

Sometimes though this method of preserving them affects my scores.

6. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Shotgun = 2 eyes

Rifle = 1 eye

7. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I'm sort of a two eyed shooter. I'm left handed and right eye dominant and shoot with both eyes open but with a frosted dot on my shooting glasses that blocks the right eye from seeing just the end of my barrel. This allows me to use both eyes to spot the bird leaving the trap, however while I'm tracking the bird and when I pull the trigger I'm only using one eye.

Hawk,

8. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

Thats what my grandfather does, he sight the bird with 2 eyes and close his left just as he shoots

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Same as Dale Z
    I shot one eyed left shoulder for 50 years and changed last spring to right shoulder and both eyes. My scores and enjoyment increased by leaps and bounds. I usually break the targets 3 to 4 feet on the rise. RG

10. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

Since i have been shooting 2 eyes, i have also been jumping at the targets, anyway to stop that, cause if i can, my scores will greatly increase

11. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

Since i have been shooting 2 eyes, i have also been jumping at the targets, anyway to stop that, cause if i can, my scores will greatly increase

12. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

13. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

When I took a class earlier this year, it was suggested to do as Hawk does. The instructor suggested both eyes open till you call (and see) the bird. Then close one eye as you shoot. I have tried it. I am not really good at it.

My gun is fitted really well to me and I notice that if I line my sights up (snowman figure 8) then if I see the bird, I can smack it pretty good. Just a matter of seeing the bird. And stopping the elevator (it's been a bit windy around here lately)

Luvn

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Until about three years ago I always shot with both eyes open with no problems. Then over the course of a few months I started having problems with double vision when I mounted the gun, to the point I could no longer do it, and had to shoot with the left eye closed. I consulted several people, including Mike Rinart (Post 4) and Phil Kiner, and finally taped the top of the left lens. It has worked reasonably well, but not as well as when I could shoot with both open. Last weekend I discovered when mounting the gun with my regular glasses on (no tape) that the double vision displacement was vertical, not horizontal as I had thought, and occurs only when I bring the gun firmly to my cheek. Then Wednesday night while shooting doubles in the near dark, I missed several second birds because it was hard to pick them out in the gloom. I was trying so hard to see them it was almost like I was locking on them with both eyes again, and I wanted to take the damn tape off. This weekend I'm going to try shooting with my regular glasses to see whether focusing on the target hard enough can get me back to shooting with two eyes. I've always suspected (hoped really) that my problem was just a case of subliminal bead-checking, and could be corrected. Shooting with both eyes is so much easier if you can do it.

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Watch that bead checking. That has cost me more targets than even raising my head. I now try to soft focus around the barrel and it seems to work for me. Richard

16. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I check the bead long enough to line them up, and then I don't see them anymore.

17. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

i don't even have to beads, i have on of those fluorecent sights, but i know my eye is in direct sight of it.

18. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

If you shoot with 2 eyes, you can see where the left bird is when shooting doubles. That is if you are a right handed shooter, right dominate eyed and shoot right bird first. It is faster to track to the second bird with both eyes. Your right dominate eye will track the bird you are shooting at, and your left eye can see the other target with your peripheral vision.

19. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Keep both eyes open - see the target - swing the gun and shoot it. If you continue to shoot one eyed, keep your gun low. but either way, look over the rib for the target in singles and handicap but not in doubles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

one eye trap shooting

shooting clays with one or two eyes

shooting one eye or two

shooting trap using one eye

trap shooting double vision with two eyes

trap shooting one eye or two

trap shooting with one eye