1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Shooting with no Bluing on Receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Feist Hunter, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

I have an old .410 Citori Special Skeet with a lot of the bluing worn off the receiver but the bluing on the barrels is still nice. I am wondering what your experience is with removing the bluing on the receiver only and shooting without bluing? Corrosion wise I clean my guns every time out with Breakfree or something similar. Anyone have any photos of a gun like this?

MGM
  2. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Lot of muzzleloaders out there finished in the white, no blue or brown. Just take care of it and you will be fine.
  3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Once the finish is removed, clean the surface really well glass cleaner to remove any contamination than may have been left behind by your hands etc... Then get out some good car wax and appy to the receiver and rub off like you would your car. Works like a champ. It also makes blued barrels look really nice!

ss
  4. Erik W

Erik W TS Member

I have a "COIN" finish Gold Superscroll K20 that is about 12 years old. Have several barrels for gun and it has been a "keeper" that I enjoy. It has a beautiful soft silver look that is really just bare steel. Not silver nitride hard finish like newer guns. I shoot it as a "fair weather" gun only and keep it wiped down and clean and have had no rust problems. Have not used wax thinking it would just fill up engraving. Just keep metal wiped down with oily mitt.
  5. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

If you're going to shoot it in the rain, and don't keep it covered with something 100% of the time, you'll literally be able to watch rust form on the bare metal.
  6. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

Thanks all, I believe I will try this...if I don`t like it I can always have it blued. What can I use to strip the remaining blue?
  7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Toilet bowl cleaner. No joke. Just wipe it on with a rag and it will just come right off. Take the stock off before doing this as it will mess with the finish on the stock if it gets on it.

Don't qworry about wax build-up in engraved areas. Just keep a soft toothbrush handy for the nilks and crannies.

ss
  8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

If you are worried about rust, just Spray Rec. with Mini-Wax Helmsman "SPAR" urethane. Works Great!!!!! joe90t
  9. oz

oz Active Member

naval jelly
  10. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

Also, Birchwood Casey makes a "Rust and Bluing Remover" which I have used to strip worn bluing from receivers on a couple of 1100s - converting them to appear like the competition models. The advice above re: using wax and keeping moisture away is very good. Best Regards, Ed
  11. Erik W

Erik W TS Member

For those of you that rely on wax, do you re-wax each time you clean a gun? I clean guns once a week. If I shoot a clean gun Thursday, then again Sat & Sunday, I clean on Monday or Tuesday. Has worked fine for me for years for autos and "COIN" finished Kguns. This is fair weather shooting with a wipe off and storage in AC house between shoots. If I were to adopt wax, should I strip wax or rely on it lasting how long?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.