1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting with contact lenses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MrBT, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBT

MrBT Member

Wondering how others do when they wear contacts to shoot along with a non prescription pair of shooting glasses instead of prescription glasses? Issues? Opinions? Your experiences.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its the only way to fly, been wearing contacts for over 30 years ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I just have to remember to blink often. Especially before calling for the bird. If I don't, my lenses slide down and dry causing slightly blurred vision.

4. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I love the contacts. But there a bear to put in for me. Todd

5. clayaddict

clayaddict TS Member

I just started using them, and I think it's going to be the way to go for me. I like Todd, love them but getting them in is a pain. I can't stop the blink just as it hits. Takes about 3 tries before I get it right. J.Woolsey

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Advantages: Perfect depth of field, greater accuracy, greater accuity, sharper images (as long as you don't have lot of astigmatism), no edge or rim of eyeglasses seen.

Disadvantages: Dry-out (much less of a problem with the advent of "Oasis" type soft lenses)that causes blurring, airborn debris and allergins (also less of a problem with modern soft lenses) sticking to lenses making them uncomfortable, needing to rewet, clean or both (not a big deal).

Opinion: The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

7. kenf

kenf Active Member

Keep a bottle of eye drops in your vest or bag for windy days. They will help sharpen the bird going out. Ditto on what BRC said, the Oasis is a good breathable lens.

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Contacts are great! You can use plano lenses with different colors. Just keep a small bottle of re-wetting solution handy. Others have identified all the advantages better than I can. Best Regards, Ed

9. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher TS Member

Soft contacts have the advantages and disadvantages cited above. Another advantage is not having to get prescription lens in various colors. Just don't make the mistake I did. I inadvertently switched the lens to the wrong eyes, and my left eye was occasionally taking over as the dominant eye in seeing the target while I was shooting right handed. (My right eye was only about 20/60 instead of 20/20.) My scores were terrible for a week until I realized what the problem was and corrected it.

The effects were even worse than leaving in a skeet choke and shooting a round of trap with the wrong choke tube. Done that, too. But with the right lens locations and tips I have learned from this site, I did shoot my first 25 straight yesterday after hitting 24 on the first round. Just when I was trying to justify a real trap gun instead of shooting my 26 inch barrel O/U field gun. (Still hoping to try out several real trap guns and get one eventually.)Thanks to all those who have helped a beginner trap shooter with tips and suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to help us beginners.
    Tom Smith

10. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I had prescription Decots.... Loved them, but had prescription changes and didn't want to spend money on lenses again.

I had soft contacts but never felt like my vision was nearly as good as pres glasses. I switched brands of contacts, love how they feel and the vision they provide. I switched to non-prescription Decots now, and have no regrets.

I would not have changed with the old brand of contacts, as I never did see very well with them.... It is way economically positive to go with the non prescription Decots....

LWL

11. laura!

laura! Member

My son is left eye dominant, but is able to shoot 2 eyed by leaving his left contact out, so it actually can be quite an advantage over us left eye dominant 20/20 one-eyed shooters!

12. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I love contacts for shooting. I can wear "normal" shooting glasses and not miss a beat.

13. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

In my situation, Contact Lenses are great for everything but shooting; my current C\L prescription is the same strength in each eye, and I have to squint the left eye to avoid cross-firing. I'm beginning to think that prescription shooting glasses are the way to go - JoeBerg

14. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I gave up on contacts. All kinds of hassels with them for me. A big problem I have had in the past was blowback powder getting in my eyes.
    The biggest downfall with contacts for me was eye fatigue, which is a major problem in the shotgun sports.

I now wear prescription glasses and luckily nothing has changed in some years. If you do the numbers, for me at least, contacts are more expensive. You can get expensive shooting glasses or go to lenscrafters have them make you sunglasses and have them dyed purple. They have various colors, I settled with purple to start off with. Eventually I will get better shooting glasses, but for now I am happy.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As was said earlier, economics of using contacts with a plano shooting glasses system. I had Rx glasses, but to update the script every so often and then dye them - its both a hassle and costly.

One thing also, poly carb lenses offer tremendously better impact protection than CR-39 plastic lenses - if you can wear contacts comfortably and shoot well with them...do it!

Jay Spitz

16. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

biggydave is on to something here, have the doc prescribe a special set of lenses for clays shooting only that are focused at 40 yds.; I may try that - thanks! JoeBerg

17. idoc

idoc Member

Joe,

The Rx for contacts that are set at infinity (20') is the same Rx for 40 yards. Once optical infinity is achieved there is no difference in the Rx. Optical infinity is when the light rays are parallel to the eye. This happens at twenty feet and beyond. Inside of 20' the rays start to become divergent and the focus changes with the working distance but outside of twenty feet it stays parallel no matter how far out you go. Hope this helps............Rich

18. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

Contacts are the only way to go. I've been wearing them since '66, for at least 16 + hrs. a day. No troubles at all shooting, from military, or fun shooting all types of weapons. A plano shooting/safety glass does not interfere, whether working or shooting. I have gas permeable type lenses, hard but flexible. Only caution to ANY lense wearer, be careful with bug repellent with deet, if disolves the plastic, also finish on stocks, etc. Bob

19. MrBT

MrBT Member

Thanks to all for the great feedback

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
contact lens and trap shooting
contact lenses and shooting
contact lenses for target shooting
contacts for shooting
shooter colored lenses
shooting and contact lenses